mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Decisions decisions!!!

Sorry if this is long winded but that's me! Im looking at getting a new bike an man has technology changed in the last few years and I haven't kept up with it! So playing catch up. I've been riding on an off the same two late 90s cannondales since,,, well the late 90s! One a super v an the other a F series, and don't plan on getting rid of them as I still enjoy riding them but eventually they'll have to be retired as can't get some parts for them. Started riding a little more serious lately some trail and some fairly technical rocky single track. I've come to the conclusion that I'd definitely like to upgrade, I'm looking at a cannondale habit an a giant trance as that's the brands that the two local to me shops carry an I like the looks an feel of them, problem is I just can't decide, I went today an rode a scalpel 29, was awesome, an rode a 27.5 Giant anthem cause that was the largest giant they had on the floor, rode over an off some curbs an thru some grassy areas, obviously not as telling as an actual trail ride would be but couldn't really feel a difference in the two wheel sizes, also wanting to stay under $3000! Didn't care for the 27.5+ I looked at just not sure which one to go with or what wheel size, also I'm 6'4" 230lbs, and I'm 52 yrs old and based on how long I keep things I like, i figure this will be the last mtn bike I buy!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Right... the differences will be more noticeable when you ride in situations that dramatically favors one over the other.

Lots of tight turns, technical riding - 27.5 will feel more nimble, all else being equal.

Fast straights, sweeping turns, etc, - 29 will feel faster and more stable, all else being equal.

wanna ride bikes?
    29er every time.

^ that's way over generalized IMO. do i smell kool-aid?

depending on geo a 29er will handle just as fast as a 27.5. at your height and weight, get the big hoops. unless your getting a long travel bike for big gnar, which it doesn't sound like your after, ride the biggest wheel you can. you won't be sorry
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    29+

Hardtail 29er- dead forever
    SS cyclocross
    all steel, all the time

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Based on your height, I'd definitely lean toward a 29er. Check out this article about mountain bike wheel size. As the article says, "If youíre particularly tall, gravitating toward a 29er probably makes a lot of sense." Good luck and happy trails!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks for the input guys!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I have narrowed it down to a Cannondale Habit 4 an a Giant Trance the problem if it really is a problem is those two only come in 27.5, they do have a giant Anthem in 29" but the front only has 100mm of travel and the 27.5s have 130mm, the Habit is $2800 an the two Giants are at $2700.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    29er every time.

^ that's way over generalized IMO. do i smell kool-aid?

depending on geo a 29er will handle just as fast as a 27.5. at your height and weight, get the big hoops. unless your getting a long travel bike for big gnar, which it doesn't sound like your after, ride the biggest wheel you can. you won't be sorry
    You are the one that is claiming "29er every time" and *I* am the one that's generalizing and drinking kool-aid?

To the OP, the obvious answer isn't to ride the biggest wheel you can. DH riders don't, BMX riders don't, and dirt jumpers don't. Obviously, wheel size plays a role and certain wheel sizes are a better fit for certain types of riding. There is no one size fits all solution. I can't believe someone would think this is generalizing.

wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by oneupme View Post
    You are the one that is claiming "29er every time" and *I* am the one that's generalizing and drinking kool-aid?

To the OP, the obvious answer isn't to ride the biggest wheel you can. DH riders don't, BMX riders don't, and dirt jumpers don't. Obviously, wheel size plays a role and certain wheel sizes are a better fit for certain types of riding. There is no one size fits all solution. I can't believe someone would think this is generalizing.
    at his height and weight, 29er every time. that's just my opinion, and it's just a recommendation. the way you generalized made it sound like a 29er is only good for flowy trails and fast straits, and that's not true.

i forgot to add, test ride everything you can before you make a final decision. demo, rent, borrow, steal (temporarily). can't ride the exact model? ride closest thing you can find. you may not learn exactly what you want in a bike, but you will likely find a few things you don't like, and that helps a lot in the decision making for me.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    29+

SS cyclocross
    all steel, all the time

wanna ride bikes?
    double post
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    29+

SS cyclocross
    all steel, all the time

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    at his height and weight, 29er every time. that's just my opinion, and it's just a recommendation. the way you generalized made it sound like a 29er is only good for flowy trails and fast straits, and that's not true.
    they may not only be good for those things, but 29ers DO do better on those kinds of trails. 29ers that are more capable on more chunky trails are a more recent thing, and tend to sit at higher prices.

Yes, OP's height (weight I don't really consider much of a factor here, though it is for other things), does suggest a 29er might feel more "natural" but it's not a hard rule as you suggest.

I do agree to go ride a bunch of bikes as much as possible. Find a demo event if you can. Honestly, if you ride two bikes and can't really feel much difference between them, then it probably isn't going to matter too much which one you choose. At that point, move to secondary deciding factors like price, color, whatever.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm trying to ride everything I like, just talked to another shop that has an XL Trance that he said they adjust the shocks for me to get a good feel an test ride , also said he'd knock 10% off so that's $2400 , be like they are throwing the dropper post in for free. I'll take as good a test ride as I can on it.

noob bikepacker
    For me, the biggest thing was taking my time to really decide. It took me 2 years of riding, researching, narrowing it down to one...then seeing another one and starting over again...what helped me was figuring out which styles I was NOT going to get into. That was a big filter. I rarely come into the extra income needed to purchase a good bike, so the one I went with HAD to be versatile and last me for years....cause it was probably the last major bike purchase I will make unless I hit the lotto.

Went with a Surly Krampus in the end. It checked off all of the boxes for me.

Be patient and find spend your money wisely!
    "It's about having pointless fun in the woods...." - Walt
    '15 Surly Krampus
    '87 Mongoose Californian Pro

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 Plus - Trek Bicycle Superstore
    This bike will run 27.5+ or 29 wheels.
    Its new this month. The shops won't have it in stock but it can be ordered in your size. You keep a bike a while so order one. Don't go only for what's in stock.
    Oklahoma City has a couple dealers.
    Negotiate a discount ONLY with a manager. He's the only one who can do anything. Sales guys will always say no way. That's what their trained to do.