mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Decision time on a bike, advice needed

Hey everyone,
    I am ready to make the switch from road riding, which I have done for many years, to trail riding.
    For now, most of my riding will be on fairly easy single-track trails and a lot of gravel trails, the latter to build up my aerobic strength and endurance.
    Eventually I will tackle more technical single-track riding, mostly in the Midwest and an occasional trip to the West or South.
    I have narrowed my bike choices to the Cannondale Flash 3 and the Flash 1 (aluminum).
    My goal is to buy a bike that will last a long time and won't need expensive upgrades.
    Through my local bike shop, there's about a $370 price difference between the Flash 3 and the Flash 1. That's a lot of money to me, but I am willing to spend it if the Flash 1 would be that much better for my long-term goals.
    I test rode both bikes and liked them both, preferring the Flash 1 a little more -- but I could not tell much from a parking lot test ride.
    Bottom line: Should I spend the addtional $370 and get the Flash 1 or pocket that money and get the Flash 3?
    Many thanks for your help. This forum is sincerely appreciated.
    Ride safe,
    Redline

T.W.O.
    The biggest thing between the 3 and 1 is fork and travel. Flash 3 has headshox ultra 80mm of travel and fh1 has lefty pbr 100mm. If it's $370 difference and you prefer the test ride already I'd say get the flash 1. I love the lefty.

mtbr member
    Yeah I would say the flash 1 as well my riding buddy has one and its a great bike and the lefty is sweet.