1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Decision time on a bike, advice needed

Hey everyone,
    I am ready to make the switch from road riding, which I have done for many years, to trail riding.
    For now, most of my riding will be on fairly easy single-track trails and a lot of gravel trails, the latter to build up my aerobic strength and endurance.
    Eventually I will tackle more technical single-track riding, mostly in the Midwest and an occasional trip to the West or South.
    I have narrowed my bike choices to the Cannondale Flash 3 and the Flash 1 (aluminum).
    My goal is to buy a bike that will last a long time and won't need expensive upgrades.
    Through my local bike shop, there's about a $370 price difference between the Flash 3 and the Flash 1. That's a lot of money to me, but I am willing to spend it if the Flash 1 would be that much better for my long-term goals.
    I test rode both bikes and liked them both, preferring the Flash 1 a little more -- but I could not tell much from a parking lot test ride.
    Bottom line: Should I spend the addtional $370 and get the Flash 1 or pocket that money and get the Flash 3?
    Many thanks for your help. This forum is sincerely appreciated.
    Ride safe,
    Redline

T.W.O.
    The biggest thing between the 3 and 1 is fork and travel. Flash 3 has headshox ultra 80mm of travel and fh1 has lefty pbr 100mm. If it's $370 difference and you prefer the test ride already I'd say get the flash 1. I love the lefty.

mtbr member
    Yeah I would say the flash 1 as well my riding buddy has one and its a great bike and the lefty is sweet.