mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Wink Decision Time 2.0

I thought I'd start a new thread since my last one took an unexpected turn when one of the two bikes I was choosing from no longer was available. Now it's between the following:

2013 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er - $2400 after 15% discount
    Specialized Bicycle Components

2014 Trek Fuel EX 7 - $2699
    Trek Bicycle

I've ridden both and I like how they both feel. I felt like the stumpy's suspension was a bit more plush but other than that they rode similar.

What do you guys think? Anything important standout that makes one better than the other? Help me out here as I can be a bit oblivious...

An aside, the LBS I usually support and prefer, sells the Trek. I want to give them my business but I feel like I'm leaning towards the Stumpy. Does that make me a bad person?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    If they ride similar, I would go with the Trek. The LBS you prefer carries it and it already comes with Shimano brakes. With the Stumpy, you might as well factor in the cost to swap out the Avid's for some Shimano's.... I'm currently in this boat myself on a 2 week old Trek that came with Elixir 1's... They are terrible and am going to have to work with my LBS to either get warranty replacements or some shimano's....

In the end, if they ride very similar, pick the LBS you prefer, color you prefer, etc..

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiller15 View Post
    If they ride similar, I would go with the Trek. The LBS you prefer carries it and it already comes with Shimano brakes. With the Stumpy, you might as well factor in the cost to swap out the Avid's for some Shimano's.... I'm currently in this boat myself on a 2 week old Trek that came with Elixir 1's... They are terrible and am going to have to work with my LBS to either get warranty replacements or some shimano's....

In the end, if they ride very similar, pick the LBS you prefer, color you prefer, etc..
    This, the Avid brakes are horrible, so if you go with the SJ, better negotiate a brake swap in the deal.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

Fat-tired Roadie
    I haven't tried the Stumpjumper, but I was more impressed by the Camber than the Fuel a while ago.

They're kinda different bikes. I think the Remedy might be more comparable to the Stumpjumper.

Try them both with the shock's compression damper all the way open.

I wouldn't make the decision on brakes. I've had Elixirs for ages. They work fine when they're working. My older rear brake has a sticky piston now, but I had it for years before that came up. When I've ridden demo bikes with Shimanos, I can't say they felt any different to me.

Tiller - talk to your shop about it. They probably need a bleed. You can also get different feel from different brake pads. What are they doing that bothers you?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Tiller - talk to your shop about it. They probably need a bleed. You can also get different feel from different brake pads. What are they doing that bothers you?
    Dont want to get off-topic from the OP but they are doing the infamous turkey garble as soon as they warm up. Only have 12 miles on the bike so far. Literally as soon as the brakes warm up, they start vibrating and making the turkey call. The front will literally shake the entire bike to the point i'm scared it will damage the front end...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    I haven't tried the Stumpjumper, but I was more impressed by the Camber than the Fuel a while ago.

They're kinda different bikes. I think the Remedy might be more comparable to the Stumpjumper.

Try them both with the shock's compression damper all the way open.

I wouldn't make the decision on brakes. I've had Elixirs for ages. They work fine when they're working. My older rear brake has a sticky piston now, but I had it for years before that came up. When I've ridden demo bikes with Shimanos, I can't say they felt any different to me.

Andrew I respect how much you help beginners on this forum, but as far as the brakes, you're wrong. Take a read through the Specialized forum. There is something about Specialized and Avids that just don't go together. It's well know problem, it's not a bleed or pad bedding issue.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Ask your Trek dealer about the April 15% off sale. He should be willing to go that discount on your choice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Ok in response to a couple comments:
    - Good point about the brakes, that's about a $100 upgrade.
    - What about the other components though? Yes the Shimano brakes are better but what about the other components between the bikes? I find it hard to compare SRAM versus Shimano.
    - I did look at the Trek Rememdy but that's creeping towards the $3000. I started off with a budget of $2000 and settled on $2500. The fuel is already stretching it to $2700.
    - And what about the suspension. The stumpy has a bit more travel on the front (130 vs 120). But I think I prefer the Fuel's rear shock setup...just the mechanics seem to make more sense to me.
    - What's this about a 15% April sale?? Is that pretty standard? I'm living in BC, Canada.

I think that was most of it. Thanks for everyone's replies! It's really helpful to have some people to talk to. My wife...she's great but she doesn't have anything to add to this discussion