1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2012

Decent used suspension fork for under $100?

I'm looking for a decent suspension fork for about $100. It can be used, a takeoff, doesn't matter, as long as it's in good overall condition.

Thanks.

Living the High Life
    A fork, shock, or frame?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Sorry about that. A suspension fork.

Living the High Life
    I'd suggest going to craigslist and set the max at $150 and search for "Rock Shox" "Marzocchi" or "Manitou". Fox suspension really doesn't make anything cheap.

I live in Denver and here's what came up for me. denver bicycles - all classifieds "rock shox " - craigslist

Depending on what you're using it for there seem to be many options, try near wherever you live.

Former Bike Wrench
    Might be able to find a lightly used Dart 3 for under $100

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Least expensive new Rockshox you will find.

RockShox XC28 Fork 2012 at Price Point
    ~ 2011 GT Avalanche 2.0
    ~ 1993 Diamondback Topanga
    ~ 2012 Diamondback Overdrive Expert

mtbr member
    Yeah, you can probably get an older Rockshox on Craigs and I suggest Ebay too. I found a 2008 Rockshox 351 recon u-turn coil with adjustable 85-130mm travel for $140.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    $80

mtbr member
    I see Rockshox Tora forks go in the low $100 range. That's the cheapest of the 32mm stanchion forks. Skip the Dart forks. They are only 28mm and really heavy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I personally like the 302 Rockshox Tora on my iron horse; it's lightweight, durable, and looks/sounds cool

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Luclin999 View Post
    Least expensive new Rockshox you will find.

RockShox XC28 Fork 2012 at Price Point
    Oh wow, that is good to know. That is the fork that came on the Airborne Guardian that I almost went with, but decided to go the next step down with the Airborne Skyhawk. So if I find that the Suntour fork on the Skyhawk is really that bad or it breaks, I can get the same fork that came with the Guardian for about $100 and still be at less total cost.

EDIT: Just found it slightly cheaper on Amazon: Amazon.com: RockShox XC28 - Coil 100mm 26-Inch 9mm (Black): Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xceebeex View Post
    Oh wow, that is good to know. That is the fork that came on the Airborne Guardian that I almost went with, but decided to go the next step down with the Airborne Skyhawk. So if I find that the Suntour fork on the Skyhawk is really that bad or it breaks, I can get the same fork that came with the Guardian for about $100 and still be at less total cost.

EDIT: Just found it slightly cheaper on Amazon: Amazon.com: RockShox XC28 - Coil 100mm 26-Inch 9mm (Black): Sports & Outdoors
    It's not quite the exact same fork...the Guardian uses the 29er version

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by adonis_abril View Post
    It's not quite the exact same fork...the Guardian uses the 29er version
    Well, yea, but I figured that would be pretty obvious that they would be slightly different since the Guardian has 29 inch wheels. The 29 inch version wouldn't do me much good on a 26 inch bike It is still an XC 28 though.