1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Decent Mountain bike choice for newb...

Hello all,

So I very recently got back into riding a bike- and I'm enjoying it a lot- however, due to the fact that I was absent from the scene for 3 years means that my Trek 3700 didn't fit me any more- I've been borrowing my father's 4400, but it's such an old bike (2004) it's very heavy, especially with the panniers that he insists on having on the bike- I recon around 16 kilo's is the current weight.

Anyway, to cut a long story short- I need to get a new bike, and I'm looking around the 600-700 mark, but I might be able to stretch the budget right up to 750, tops, for the perfect bike- I'd prefer to get it from:
    bit.ly/1M2vuq
    Yesterday, I went to my 'Local' (12 miles away) Evans, and tried out a BMC SportElite SE01

bit.ly/N1XGDl

I loved the bike, how light it was and how fast it gained speed, and it's a good deal with 250 off, but I was offput by the salesman's attitude, which got to the point where he wouldn't let me try anything else because, and I quote 'Anything under that sort of price is going to be rubbish that old men buy to showoff on toepaths' Which annoyed me a bit. I don't think you can class all bikes below 700 as showoff bikes.

I did have a shortlist in mind:

Fuji Nevada 1
    bit.ly/M6Kdut

Trek 6000D
    bit.ly/Rin8m5

GT Avalanche 1
    bit.ly/OtoEOK

Pinnacle Jarrah Four
    bit.ly/PpIY5f

Mondraker Finalist
    bit.ly/NNm9Oz

I had also considered a Boardman Comp;
    bit.ly/Ouim7o
    I can also get 10% off at halfords, which is a small bonus, allthough I'm not keen on not being able to test ride it first.

I have also had an eye on a Cube Acid, but I'm again not sure, it's a bit over budget and not that well reviewed.

Anyway, if there are any other suggestions in that price range, then I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks for your help in advance.

-Dodo

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If I lived in the UK I would buy this-
    Canyon | Mountainbikes | Grand Canyon AL 29 7.9
    Here's some of the reasons.
    Eurobike 2011 Demo Day Report: Canyon "Grand Canyon AL 29"
    The frame design gives a ride more like carbon at half the price. No one else is offering that.

It's not yet available to me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    If I lived in the UK I would buy this-
    Here's some of the reasons.
    The frame design gives a ride more like carbon at half the price. No one else is offering that.

It's not yet available to me.
    Thanks for the advice, now, I don't want to sound rude, but that's way out of the price range I mentioned, and is also not available on finance, which is a real clincher for me. Looks a good bike, though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    BMC Rock Shox XC32 usable offroad 5lb.coil
    Fuji Nevada 1 Suntour fork "punishing offroad"
    Trek 6000D Suntour fork same
    GT Avalanche 1 RockShox XC30 fork
    Pinnacle Jarrah Four-RockShox Dart 3(older model XC32)
    Mondraker Finalist RockShox XC32 good geo 29er
    Boardman Comp- Suntour Epicon air fork very good reviews of fork
    Cube Acid RockShox Recon air

The Moonraker is a 29 with excellent geo and a good fork.
    The Boardman has the best fork on your list.
    The Canyon 29 has a 3.5lb tuneable Fox air fork and a new great frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    See if Nashbar will ship this over to you..

GT Avalanche X Mountain Bike - Hard Tail
    ~ 2011 GT Avalanche 2.0
    ~ 1993 Diamondback Topanga
    ~ 2012 Diamondback Overdrive Expert

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Luclin999 View Post
    See if Nashbar will ship this over to you..
    ...]
    Wow, that looks a really good deal- Thanks, certainly something to consider.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Avalanche is nice