1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    FNG - roadie->29er?
    Oct 2005

DEAL or NO DEAL? used bike

Hello. Shopping for a used bike, found a Kona Hoss (2004), lightly used (haven't seen/ridden in person yet), I'm thinking $300-400 is fair, possibly $450-$500 is top end, depending on condition. Bike was $799 list when new, I think. What would be fair? Bike is 100% stock, no upgrades. Thanks for helping here, I'm new, and thinking used is wiser way to go before I know for sure that I will ride much. -Lou
    Planning to get a multi use 29er 90/10 road/dirt - will purchase ready to go or build up between now and spring.

mtbr member
    i believe for the price it is decent, it all depends on the condition, care, and ride of the bike. inspect it, ride it, shift, brake, inspect it, ride it, shift, brake. check the frame and components.

ask the owner if it was kept inside or outside, disassemble the stem and headset, check for any signs of corrosion, the same goes for the post/seat tube. check the chain wheels, and overall drivetrain, look for any burrs/chips etc...yadda yadda. it may seem like a lot, but 350+ is still a good chunk of change. and ride it some more.

most important: does it fit? and is it proper? (ie: i am 5'10 and use a 17 inch frame)

lightly used to one person is a heavily used to another.

ride hard take risks
    If the bike is as clean as claimed & little use $450 is fair. You are looking for a big mans bike?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    If the bike is as clean as claimed & little use $450 is fair. You are looking for a big mans bike?
    i didn't think about that when i replied....the hoss is a clydesdale favorite.

ride hard take risks
    I wanted to make shure LouT knows that otherwise it's over kill.

mtbr member
    i think quite a few of the kona bikes are ill advised for me, outside of the explosif (a future potential purchase, but my mesa just won't die!), most seem like overkill for a 150 pounder.

if you are 200 and change, the kona may just be the ticket.

but i understand the appeal, there is a really nice agro-influenced/rail grinding/stair dropping haro werx that has caught my eye....but really, the only draw it has to me is that it looks cool....aside from that, it would be under utilized, kind of like using a land rover defender 90 for groceries.

Glad to Be Alive
    nice fair price
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

FNG - roadie->29er?
    Oct 2005
    Yes, I'm 6'2" and 212lbs right now, so kind of "big man", but not a true Clydesdale. In shape I should be about 185, I've always been a light framed lean guy, just put on the weight since I got this desk job (w/co. travel, good food, etc., too).

I heard someone say $350 is fair, and that's more of what I had in mind, but I think the owner thinks the bike is still worth 3/4 of brand new price. I guess I need to see it, for sure, and decide from there.

Good info about taking the stem apart and looking at bearings, seatpost area, etc., and chainrings, I wouldn't have thought to disassemble prior to purchase.

Any other tips/comments? Thanks, all!
    Planning to get a multi use 29er 90/10 road/dirt - will purchase ready to go or build up between now and spring.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by LouT
    Yes, I'm 6'2" and 212lbs right now, so kind of "big man", but not a true Clydesdale. In shape I should be about 185, I've always been a light framed lean guy, just put on the weight since I got this desk job (w/co. travel, good food, etc., too).

I heard someone say $350 is fair, and that's more of what I had in mind, but I think the owner thinks the bike is still worth 3/4 of brand new price. I guess I need to see it, for sure, and decide from there.

Good info about taking the stem apart and looking at bearings, seatpost area, etc., and chainrings, I wouldn't have thought to disassemble prior to purchase.

Any other tips/comments? Thanks, all!
    The component pick on the Hoss is fair & the frame is over built for clydesdale riders. Buying a Hoss would be overkill on the frame. Have you checked out Ibex bikes?? Excelent bang for the buck!!

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ALP-550-Details.html

mtbr member
    May 2006
    here here.....IBEX is very good.

FNG - roadie->29er?
    Oct 2005
    I did check out Ibex, actually - looks like pretty good spec for $$, kind of like Motobecane - they hit a popular pricepoint with a well spec'd bike.
    My concern is the 80mm Manitou Axel Splice fork vs. the Marzochhi MZ1 (don't know which is better, but extra travel is usually good to have); I like the BB5 Avids on Ibex vs. the low spec Hayes mechanical discs on the used Hoss, and I'm not sure if 2004 Deore is fully equal to 2005 or 2006 Deore front and rear der's. I like the idea of a warranty, but at this point, $535 new vs (I'm hoping) $450-500 with an "overkill" frame and wheels, is giving me trouble with the overall decision. I also like that there's a Kona dealer nearby if I need anything I can't handle on my own via mail order or whatever.
    Does anyone know if any of these forks offer lockouts? I will probably be riding on the road quite a bit. Thanks! -Lou