1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Dart 1 vs. Suntour XCT V2 ML

Ok, I know neither of these forks is very good, but I want opinions on which is less sucky. Both are 80mm models. The Dart 1 comes on the 2010 Dawes Haymaker 1200 available on Ebay for $350. The Suntour comes on the 2011 model at Bikesdirect, for $370. The 2011 model is speced slightly better other than the fork, and the black/gold looks awesome compared to the 2010 matte silver, but I am not sure about the fork. All else being equal I would pay the extra $20 for the black color, but if the fork is a downgrade then I would have to rethink.
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    Screw the search function... you're new, ask the question(s). If anyone gets thier undies in a bunch it's thier problem.

mtbr member
    I would say the dart but I don't know for sure does the dart have any adjustment? My friend has that suntour fork and it is awful.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Might as well throw the RST CAPA into this low buck fork smorgasbord. Its on the even cheaper 2010 Gravity Base Camp 2.0.
    Screw the search function... you're new, ask the question(s). If anyone gets thier undies in a bunch it's thier problem.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Both the Dart and Suntour have adjustable preload, the Suntour has lockout, the Dart doesn't appear to.

If it matters, this would be on a 13" frame for my currently 90 pound son so he's not really going to hammer the thing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash Test Dumby View Post
    Both the Dart and Suntour have adjustable preload, the Suntour has lockout, the Dart doesn't appear to.

If it matters, this would be on a 13" frame for my currently 90 pound son so he's not really going to hammer the thing.
    I figured it was for your son so knowing that I would say it does not matter. I would prefer the one with lockout but will your son even care? Another thing to think about will he take care of it and bring it inside in the evening? If not go with the rs as the seals are better than suntour. I also know fyi that suntour will be updating all of the seals because of complaints. I run a suntour epicon and it is a great fork reliable and plush. I know suntour has a bad name and all but the high end stuff is good. Another thing I can say you will need to do if you choose the suntour is you will need to get some of that fork lube and a hook tool and clean around the top of the seals every few days. I think you will need to get softer springs no matter what fork you choose because the bikes come with med and I am pretty sure your son will need soft. I think for a 90lb by no matter what fork you will get it will be ok as long as you change the spring. Another good thing about 90lb people is they dont destroy parts like us 220lb people So I recommend jest asking your son what he likes the best if he needs lockout or not.

mtbr member
    Another thing my friends fork is different it does not have lockout sorry

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Of course, I just went over to the Motobecane forum and read a post from a guy who bought a Haymaker 1500 for himself and a 1000 for his son. He said he had no problems setting up the 1500 and LOTS of problems getting the 1000 to shift right. I really hate this part of the process. Before I found my Diamondback used I was going to buy from BD for myself. Started looking at the 29.1 but kept convincing myself each step up was fully worth it (and it is component/dollar wise). Pretty soon had myself talked into one of the Motobecanes for $700 Now I am doing it again, don't want to get too carried away with a bike for my son but if the lower level bike turns into a ton of work just to keep tuned then the upgrade is worth it. I don't have a ton of money, but believe it or not with my job money is easier to come up with than time. AAArrrghhhhhh.

mtbr member
    What about this its little less you could get some upgrades.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ALUMINUM-MOU...#ht_9299wt_698

or this lol
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Titan-Fusion-Dua...#ht_1534wt_752

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jpeters View Post
    What about this its little less you could get some upgrades.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ALUMINUM-MOU...#ht_9299wt_698

or this lol
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Titan-Fusion-Dua...#ht_1534wt_752
    Yeah, thats the bike referred to in my second post. It is also in the lineup of choices They actually have it in white, black and yellow. My son actually likes the white, I'm not so crazy about it. For looks (and I'd never buy a bike solely on looks of course) the Haymaker 1200 is actually the best looking bike I've seen. The black and gold is way better than the 1500 choices of orange or grey.

mtbr member
    That titan is sweet lol I was looking and had to post it lol look at the linkage I would be scared to put my boy on that. I have a picture in my mind if a see saw with the kid getting on the bike and bouncing away.

Its cool you are getting your boy a good bike I think at 90 lbs you will be good whatever u choose.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    That titan is sweet lol I was looking and had to post it lol look at the linkage I would be scared to put my boy on that. I have a picture in my mind if a see saw with the kid getting on the bike and bouncing away.

Its cool you are getting your boy a good bike I think at 90 lbs you will be good whatever u choose.
    I actually just disassembled a cheepy Mongoose FS bike kinda like that. It weighed 43 pounds and bobbed so bad I couldn't stand it even of cement. Would never have dared take it even mildly off road. So I stripped the aluminum rims, crank and such and transferred them to an old department store rigid frames MTB. It started out at a rather portly 37 pounds itself, with steel rims, cranks and everything. The resulting creation, still not finished, without a crank, chain or rear derailleur weighs 25 pounds. Figure completed should come in around 30? The FS mongoose frame and fork alone weigh, take a stab at it, 25 pounds.

mtbr member
    It depends on how he rides and cares for the bike. You could give him a rigid and he wont know the difference if does not ride hard. The problem is the boy will grow and you will have a small bike good for nothing. I would go with the dart and not worry about it to much I only say because of the seals on the suntour and its a kid .

mtbr member
    Another thing to remember parts last longer when you are 90lbs by the same token when you are 90lbs it is harder to pedal a heavy bike.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    It depends on how he rides and cares for the bike. You could give him a rigid and he wont know the difference if does not ride hard. The problem is the boy will grow and you will have a small bike good for nothing. I would go with the dart and not worry about it to much I only say because of the seals on the suntour and its a kid .
    Yeah, if I only had one boy I would be much more hesitant about spending the money. Also as I mentioned elsewhere, there is also the possibility of putting the components off whatever bike I buy now on a Haro 16" frame I already own to get his next step up bike. And if I did that, by then he would be heavier and presumably more aggressive, so a better fork would be nice. Part of my dilemma is trying to guess if little brother will be ready for a 13" first or big brother will be ready to move on to the 16". If the components move up to a bigger bike, then I want better stuff than if its only gonna be used on the little bike for small boys.

mtbr member
    If you are doing hand me down I would get the RS bike I think the seals are better.

WI. Big Boy MTBer
    I just bought a Giant Rev2 to use as a kick around bike for utility use as well as some trails.
    It came stock with a SR XCR/V3 fork. Preload adjustable (yeah right.) This is perhaps the worst fork I have ever ridden in all my years mountain biking. I would advise that if you are planning to do anything more than a leisurely bike path ride or strict city, plan on dumping the SR fork.
    TREK X CALIBER 6, MOTOBECANE USA MIRAGE SLX