1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Dangerous Fist Post

I raced road bikes for about 6 years, 18 years ago. I was sort good at it, was always competitive in races and on training rides. I loved it. Then, gave it up. I woke up, snapped out of it, realizing it was illogical for me to work so hard at riding. But always missed it.

Jump to 4 weeks ago - I went flying down a grassy hill on my son's MTB. I was grinning ear to ear. I had to get a bike! Hooked up with an old friend at the bike shop (still worked there!) and out I rode on a bike a lot more expensive than planned. I hit the trails for the first time on my way home. That was just 2 weeks ago.

Jump to last week - with 4 trail sessions under my belt and maybe 2 weeks of road bike miles in my legs, I meet my old friend from the bike shop for a group ride with 5 other guys. We take off through the same trails I rode on the first day. I was holding my own, sort of. I would start toward the back, they would disappear around the next corner, and the sweepers were coaching a Total Noob who was on the overnight Trek Superfly rental from the shop. We would regroup at clearings, chit chat, then move on.

We were on a relatively easy flat section. The Total Noob was 2 guys in front of me. We got to a curve on the trail that moves us next to a 30' cliff (about 15 feet away) that goes down to a busy 4 lane road. There were some roots and a tree or two that had to be navigated. Well, Total Noob goes off the path like someone pulled him with a rope. He goes over the handlebars, tumbles down the hill. I stop, the guy in front of me is screaming, we figure we are witnessing him fall to his death. Then his fall is suddenly stopped. He is saved by two of small trees clinging to life on the edge of the cliff. As cars race below, we run down and pull him back up. He shakes it off, unharmed we continue. We finish the ride. He tells a few jokes, we bid him good buy, he rides home.

So... from one Noob to another, remember this is dangerous. The bike will follow your eyes. Keep your eyes on your line.

P e a c e KYC

I <3 dirt
    I was hoping for more ninjas in this thread. Sad panda
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Absolutely. Sometimes riders underestimate how important this is.
    Watch the youtube vids of people riding along and edge, then going over. You will almost always see them look over the edge just before they lose their line and go over.
    I've been riding for 20 years and even though it is more instinctive now, i still consciously force myself to always look ahead whenever riding along any edge (mostly river banks and ravines for me). Never look over the edge, never look down at your front tire.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

MTB Fanatic
    Oh yeah, this stuff is dangerous. There's a reason we all wear helmets. Good tips on keeping your eyes focused.

squish, squish in da fish
    i wear a 5 gal bucket with holes cut out for eyes.

Master Shredder
    Why would you let the Total Noob lead????? always a bad idea

kjd
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mk.utlra View Post
    Why would you let the Total Noob lead????? always a bad idea
    When I take new people, I always let them lead. I learned this from numerous unfortunate experiences. If the newb leads, he can see where he is going. He can also go at the pace he wants. When the follow, they cannot see as far up the trail, and they try to keep up with you and even though you think you are doing an easy pace, it is way too fast for them and they are much more likely to crash.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    pics or it didnt happen

My bike is rusty..
    Jul 2012

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by diesel5d View Post
    pics or it didnt happen
    x2

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    In for fisting. Wait. There's no fisting here. Only sad pandas.