1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Cut sidewall....

6.5 miles into my ride today I grazed a rock that cut the sidewall on my front tire. I immediately heard the air coming out and stopped. I picked the bike up and held it on its side so the Stan's could do its work. I was able to make it the 2 miles back to the trail head having to air up once. The Stan's got me off the trail but it isn't holding. I kinda figured it wouldn't. The tire is a maxxis high roller. Is there anything I can do to repair it? It has a ton of tread left and these things are expensive. Cut sidewall....-imageuploadedbytapatalk1359948343.988121.jpg

Kick Start My Heart

Re: Cut sidewall....

I don't think you can boot a tubeless, so i think all you can do is tube it, (with a boot).

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Competent User

Cut sidewall....

You can *try* to use an auto tire patch kit, really take your time and apply it correctly, if the slice is less than an inch or so. Even then, take a tube out with you, if you know what I mean.

T.W.O.
    Similar thing happened to me on my tubeless set up, I just used parktool sidewall patch and use tube.

mtbr member

Cut sidewall....

Dry the tire, clean it in the area of the cut, apply a regular tube-patch (or automotive type) to the inside of the tire.

Should hold unless too much of the carcass has been damaged.
    --Reamer

SC Tallboy LTc
    Ventana ECDM 26
    ventana el Ciclon
    Litespeed Classic
    Seven Ti Axion Tandem
    1989 Stumpjumper

mtbr member

Cut sidewall....

Thanks for all the advice guys.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    use a baseball stitch with non waxed dental floss and a thick needle to hold the whole thing together. Slather with shoe goo. You can also put a tire boot in for some extra protection. Do a search for shoe goo and you should pull up some threads on the topic.

Trail Ninja
    The sidewall in that area might not be up to snuff on load bearing capacity. I've ridden on mtb tires with cut sidewalls until they got sort of bald, with tubes, but just saying, I was looking to replace it with something cheap all that time, but wound up replacing it with something even better, when I decided I didn't want to deal with the issues that come with cheap tires.

I now only buy tires with strong sidewalls, even if they weigh a quarter pound more and cost $5-10 extra. Better than ending up with a gimp $40+ tire. The High Roller in the LUST casing is amazing BTW! If you find it for $45 or so, jump on it, IMO. Well worth the ~$15 extra or so, over basic High Roller. XC High Rollers were always a bit flimsy... couldn't run lower than 35 psi with tubes, due to pinch flat risk, and those sidewalls, as you have found, aren't the toughest.

I hear ya on tires being expensive. I went from buying $15-25 clearance tires (IRC Mythos and clearance tires), to $35-45 (Kendas and sale tires), and now... I never thought I'd be spending $60 per tire, but once I discovered the performance, I was sold, avoiding ones that wear out in 3 months or less. Maxxis is a very good brand to stick with. Just don't be a weight weenie nor cheap with tires. It's too important of a contact point to try and compromise. The High Roller in the beefier casing (LUST) is my fav tire for my 26" bike, for fast hardpack trails that are a bit too loose for faster tires, like ones here in SoCal. I love the cornering performance on them.

mtbr member

Cut sidewall....

Thanks for the advice. I really like the high rollers as well for riding here in the Phoenix area. I'm not a weight weenie so Ill look into the lust version. Any other tires out there that for the bill and are similar to the high roller?

Trail Ninja
    Maybe the Panaracer tires? The Rampage is pretty nice. Similar to the Nevegal, which I ran before the High Roller (and had a nice secure grip), but with a slightly nicer casing. Not as grippy nor as fast wearing. Since I also ride desert-like conditions, I'll also recommend the CG XC tire, despite the weird tread pattern, since it has a nice bead, and a good solid feeling sidewall that doesn't feel flimsy as the Kendas and XC High Roller. It also appears to be wearing better than both the High Roller and Nevegal, but I think it uses unorthodox multi-compound design, with softer duro slow rebound rubber as a base, covered with harder longer wearing rubber, so I guess once the higher wearing stuff is gone, it'll be bald pretty fast.
    Last edited by Varaxis; 02-06-2013 at 12:07 AM.