1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2013

New question here. Cube Analog Disc 2012 upgrade (crankset, bottom bracket, tyres, saddle, mudguards)

Hello everyone! I've bought a Cube Analog Disc 2012 last year. Now I want to replace and upgrade some parts. I don't really understand bike components on a decent level, so I seek your advice. Here are the parts that I want to replace:

1. 9-speed crankset Shimano FC-M430 44x32x22T, 175mm.

I scratched it pretty badly, that's why I want to replace it. I have nothing against a similar model, but, maybe, I can replace it with something more lightweight?

I wonder if Shimano Deore M590 Triple Chainset 175mm - 22.32.44t - 68/73mm - Black will fit: Shimano Deore M590 Triple Chainset | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

2. BB-UN26 bottom bracket.

It emits a chirring noise... I want something silent.

3. Schwalbe Smart Sam tyres, 26 x 2.25.

These are too thin, I already had some punctures in the past. I would want something similar, but more protected.

4. Scape Active 8 saddle.

I would want something softer. This saddle is a real pain in the butt.

5. Mudguards.

SKS Velo 65 Mountain set doesn't fit - there is no hole in the front fork; front SKS Shockboard doesn't fit - cables in front of the fork get in the way. I wonder if any mudguards can fit this bike at all.

I will be glad to hear any recommendations!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I use and like SLX cranks .. Bike24 has good pricing on Shimano and Schwalbe tires.
    Bike24 - Shimano SLX FC-M660-10 Crankset 3x10-speed
    Pop the plastic cover and then the inner seal off and load each side of the bb bearing with grease. They come undergreased. Carefully work around the outside edge of the cover and the inside edge of the seal with the edge of a thin knife.

mtbr member
    1. If the only issue that you have with it is scratches, I would say keep it. Chances are you will scratch up another crankset down the road. If you hate the scratches, you can always strip the paint, polish them, and maybe clear coat them. I advise that you keep them until they are worn out. Going from M430 to M590 wont save you much weight anyways. If you are looking for a real upgrade you need to go with at least SLX cranks but I would go for XT/XTR. Right now you have a 3x9 drivetrain so keep that in mind.

2. Follow EB1888's advice. If it ends up dying on you they are decently cheap to replace.

3. What sort of punctures are you getting?

4. You might not neccisarily need more padding. You might just need a saddle that fits your butt or to have that one set up properly. I use a Selle Italia Carbonio and a Specialized Phenom Ti for my bikes. They are thin and pretty stiff, but they fit me and are comfortable for a couple of hours.

5. I have never used mudguards.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    eb1888, moefosho, thanks for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    Chances are you will scratch up another crankset down the road.
    I damaged my bike's cranks with an old monkey wrench; I rarely get scratches when I'm riding.

I'm afraid that SLX/XT/XTR cranks are an overkill for this bike. I also want to keep 3x9 drivetrain; and SLX FC-M660-10 is 10-speed, if I understand this correctly. I've heard that M590 are a bit sturdier than M430. I don't have any real problems with M430, so M590 should be a nice replacement.

What sort of punctures are you getting?
    Ordinary ones, from glass and sharp stones. Usually I ride in the city and in parks.

a Selle Italia Carbonio and a Specialized Phenom T
    I will look into them, thanks!

I have never used mudguards.
    And I think I should forget about them too. Too much headache for nothing

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I figured out that a chirring noise is coming from Shimano FH-RM66 Disc rear hub. Please tell me if there is a noiseless rear hub that can fit my bike!