1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    sock puppet

creaking while pedalling...

just thought i'd share this will all of you...

it was driving me nuts... it would creak only when pedalling, just a dry-like creaking sound from somewhere in the drive train...

- cleaned the chain, rings, pulleys
    - took out BB bearings, cleaned them up, cleaned up the whole crank assembly - re-greased and put together...
    - measured the stretch in the chain - just more than .75 but in couple of sections it was almost .90 - replaced chain
    - lubed all suspension bearings
    - lubed eggbeaters
    - tightened all chain ring bolts (they were fine)

Went for a ride... still creaking...

- came back home and took the rear wheel off - checked how tight was the cassette lockring... took a full turn and a half to tighten... tightened it properly, went for a ride.... VOILA... no more creaking...

Keep in mind - this is an XX cassette - it has only 2 contact points (not counting the smallest cog), so it may be more prone to this kind of issue. This is the second time I discovered loose cassette on my bikes. The first time I busted XX cassette due to this - the big cog fell off the rest of the cassette as the cassette was loose and had enough room to play under heavy load...

T.W.O.
    Ha! Creaks hunt. I always love it. I did similar thing to your step one but found the problem on the seat post it was a carbon frame. Good find.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    kudos osokolo! I would've guessed the bb.

duh
    Quote Originally Posted by erudition12000 View Post
    I would have said the same thing that the bb was loose.

creak hunt... found and neutralized.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Wow...glad to see you finally found it!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Mine creaks at the seat post if I'm sitting and pedaling hard.
    2012 Trek Marlin 29er

mtbr member
    Thanks for sharing. Good job.
    Originally Posted by Vtolds/Dremer03---- "assume any bikes left unlocked and unattended are free to take"

psycho cyclo addict
    My last creak issue got sorted out by removing the pedals, cleaning the threads, adding a bit of grease and reinstalling.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I have the same problem

mtbr member
    I recently had to do the same thing. Got a new x-9 crank with GXP bottom bracket. Did everything as per instructions and torqued everything (including pedals) to spec....Creak reared it's ugly head when I pushed hard. Took everything apart and cleaned re-greased, re-torqued everything back to spec... Same creak...UGH... Took everything including rear derailleur and hanger off, cassette off etc etc...cranks came off again....re-everything again! Finally, got pissed and sent my cranks back for replacement. SRAM sent me a new set of cranks and BB. Put them on last night and WOW NO CREAK!!!!!!! I LOVE IT!!! Must have been a BB issue I'm assuming!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by erudition12000 View Post
    This is a common mistake. Creaks are almost always something other than the BB.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    These are always fun especially on a carbon bike since the sound travels.
    My last one turned out to be the crown on my fork. That took swapping forks out to diagnose.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I had one on my commuter/beater that developed on my way home. When I got back to the house, I realized my left crank arm was coming off. I guess I must not have tightened the bolt enough. This came shortly after I had replaced the BB, which had actually been making strange noises.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    This is a common mistake. Creaks are almost always something other than the BB.
    I have got a massive creak happening from my BB...it is a year and half old and completely shot....just waiting for the UPS man for the fix.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    I have got a massive creak happening from my BB...it is a year and half old and completely shot....just waiting for the UPS man for the fix.
    True story?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    True story?
    The bearings are Enduro hybrid ceramics...the balls are fine the race is worn out so bad that the balls can almost fall out...

These are bearings are the drive side bearings from my last two sets...I wear out the non-drive side bearg first everytime....so they already had some mileage on them.

I packed them with grease about 3 weeks ago...and ordered some by non tracking number freight they didn't come so now the are coming with a tracking number I hope they get here this week.

Pedalling is getting a little sticky.

I am going to try stainles races with ceramic balls this time from boca.