1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 77
  1. #1
    2010 RockHopper Comp Disc
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    591

    creaking/cracking sound when I peddle hard

    Randomly today after some slower AM riding, I hit a paved trail. Went about a mile and then got to a more hilly region. So I was forced to peddle much harder and even at one time stand up. My bike in general was very muddy, as the trails are a horror here in NY. When I stand up and peddle I notice a creaking sound. It only occurs upon revolution of the peddles and only when I stand. The sound is not there when im seated in the saddle. It also only occurs when I am pushing really hard.


    Its quite a way to the LBS, so what can this be? I cleaned everything and lubricated it tonight and will try to ride again tomorrow.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    137
    What kind of peddles do you have? Cheaper platform peddles don't last very long under heavy use with a good sized rider...

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    208
    I would hazard a guess that it was just muck and dirt in your drive train. pushing hard on it will make things tighter, for want of a better word.

  4. #4
    I Have Cookies
    Reputation: ae111black's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,651
    Pull out your BB clean it andthe threads inside the BB Shell (frame) and re-lube, re-install and you should be good to go for a few months. Or take to an LBS and they'll do it for yah!
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

    ____
    Kimo

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nachomc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,523
    Quote Originally Posted by ae111black
    Pull out your BB clean it andthe threads inside the BB Shell (frame) and re-lube, re-install and you should be good to go for a few months. Or take to an LBS and they'll do it for yah!
    That's what it sounds like to me too.
    :wq

  6. #6
    2010 RockHopper Comp Disc
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmiller
    What kind of peddles do you have? Cheaper platform peddles don't last very long under heavy use with a good sized rider...
    Welgo cromoly platforms. Pretty sure they are the first on this list http://www.wellgo.com.tw/product.asp?category=bmx

  7. #7
    Picture Unrelated
    Reputation: zebrahum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    4,924
    Peddle
    Petal
    Pedal

    anyway... you probably got some grime in a pivot or the BB. Gently clean your bike off and tighten all the pivots. If you don't have pivots, then check your crank bolts. If they're tight you'll be best off pulling the BB, cleaning, relubing, and reinstalling. No lube on square taper spindles, lube on ISIS and other round shaped BBs.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

  8. #8
    2010 RockHopper Comp Disc
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    591
    How often does one need to clean the BB? My last bike lasted 10 years without even a tuneup.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BantamSLK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    285
    Quote Originally Posted by BeaverTail
    How often does one need to clean the BB? My last bike lasted 10 years without even a tuneup.
    I think it all depends on how well you take care of your bike. Let the BB get muddy/wet and it will need some TLC in much less than 10 years!
    The Trail Bike: 2009 Salsa Big Mama

    The Race Bike: 2010 Niner Jet 9

  10. #10
    Dan
    Reputation: mhmacw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    72
    tighten your crank arms

  11. #11
    2010 RockHopper Comp Disc
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by mhmacw
    tighten your crank arms
    I tightened everything down there, wasn't really loose, but some movement. Will see tomorrow.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    137
    How much do you weigh? I weigh 235lbs and I blow platform pedals out pretty easy. Even to the point where they spin right off the shaft.

    I've had my F5 for 3 weeks and the pedals are already starting to creak. Going to replace them this weekend hopefully.

  13. #13
    I Have Cookies
    Reputation: ae111black's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,651
    Quote Originally Posted by BeaverTail
    How often does one need to clean the BB? My last bike lasted 10 years without even a tuneup.
    I need to do mine at least every 6 months
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

    ____
    Kimo

  14. #14
    2010 RockHopper Comp Disc
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmiller
    How much do you weigh? I weigh 235lbs and I blow platform pedals out pretty easy. Even to the point where they spin right off the shaft.

    I've had my F5 for 3 weeks and the pedals are already starting to creak. Going to replace them this weekend hopefully.
    330lbs.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by BeaverTail
    330lbs.

    I wouldn't doubt that you're blowing your pedals out then. I jump my MTB a lot which doesn't help my pedals... But I can tell when they're gone and it sounds like what you described.

    I've never actually had a bike where the BB made any noise at all.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: siwilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    90
    Check your pedals are tight...

    I pi$$ed around with my crank arm for ages thinking that was the course of my problems. Would creak on hard up hills, sometimes disappearing for a while. Seemed to improve after tightening crank bolt (I took to carrying a long arm allan key with me on rides).

    Turned out to be my left pedal had loosened a fraction. I swear that I had checked it earlier in my investigations.

    If you do pull you BB apart, use plumbing tape when you replace it. Folks round here swear by it.

  17. #17
    2010 RockHopper Comp Disc
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmiller
    I wouldn't doubt that you're blowing your pedals out then. I jump my MTB a lot which doesn't help my pedals... But I can tell when they're gone and it sounds like what you described.

    I've never actually had a bike where the BB made any noise at all.
    what part of the pedal would make the noise? I once broke the spindle on a pedal and fell, it was such a horrible fall.

  18. #18
    Fat-tired Roadie
    Reputation: AndrwSwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    12,353
    A bearing or bushing might creak. Or a place where something is pressed into the pedal body and is being forced to move or deform by the force you're putting on it.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MikeyR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    137
    actually I just bough a bike sunday and my pedals are creaking could someone tell me why
    Specialized hardrock sport 29er Disk
    givin to me. 26in. next brand hardtail

  20. #20
    2010 RockHopper Comp Disc
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    591
    If you just bought the bike, take it to the LBS if you can. Other than that its likely the same problem im having.

  21. #21
    Picture Unrelated
    Reputation: zebrahum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    4,924
    Beaver, Mikey, pedals are an uncommon source of creaking noise. It does happen, but it's much more rare than all these posts are making it out to sound.

    Much more common is a BB or suspension pivot. Seatposts making creaking noises are far more common than pedals making noise in my experience. I think it's worth going over the bike and making sure everything is tight any time something makes noise. I've long ago adopted a noise=bad stance on bikes, and a routine check of all the nuts and bolts has never done me wrong.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum
    Beaver, Mikey, pedals are an uncommon source of creaking noise. It does happen, but it's much more rare than all these posts are making it out to sound.

    Much more common is a BB or suspension pivot. Seatposts making creaking noises are far more common than pedals making noise in my experience. I think it's worth going over the bike and making sure everything is tight any time something makes noise. I've long ago adopted a noise=bad stance on bikes, and a routine check of all the nuts and bolts has never done me wrong.
    Depends on the size of the rider doesn't it? I've had creaky pedals on almost every bike I've ever owned... Mind you they were all cheap platforms.

  23. #23
    Picture Unrelated
    Reputation: zebrahum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    4,924
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmiller
    Depends on the size of the rider doesn't it? I've had creaky pedals on almost every bike I've ever owned... Mind you they were all cheap platforms.
    I'd say size of rider is unimportant to amount of creaks or where they come from. Cheap is another story however. Suffice to say that I don't think replacing pedals is a good place to start when you can just tighten up some bolts for free and see if it helped.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: siwilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by BeaverTail
    what part of the pedal would make the noise? I once broke the spindle on a pedal and fell, it was such a horrible fall.

    My pedal had loosened where it bolts to the crank. I couldn't feel any play by hand or when riding but was able to tighten approx 1/4 of a turn when I checked it. No more creaking.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    5
    i had this cracking sounds with my GT Ruckus weeks before. My friend checked everything, pedals, BB, headset... but eventually the cracking sound still persisted while i was pedalling, not when i was sitting on the bike. the problem is the same like BeaverTail has.

    eventually, my other friend tried to tighten the bolts on the drop outs. After that no more cracking sounds

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •