1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Crashed/Broke new MTB on my way home

I paid $540 for a 2013 GT avalanche 3.0 plus I paid $30 to join their frequent buyers club, $45 for a lock + cable, $25 for a rack. Totaling just under $800 with tax.

On my way home commuting on my new bike there was an old lady on the sidewalk. I call out "On your left" once about 15 feet behind her, then I Call it out again 10 feet behind her and she was just totally oblivious to me. Being a mountain bike I decide to just veer off into the grass to get around her. When I do this that flat patch of grass actually had a ditch from some kind of maintenance vehicle working on the above power lines I'm assuming and my wheel just totally does a 180 and I get thrown off of my bike right in front of the lady who turns out to not know any English.

Anyways my front rim is now slightly dented up enough that I believe I need it replaced and the brake handle completely snapped off to far down and I can't even use my left brake.

I'm kind of upset that a $540 mountain bike can't withstand a simple fall. Mind you I was only going maybe 5-8mph not like it was a downhill crash or anything. The brake handle was made with very cheap/light metal alloy that I almost mistook it for either plastic or ceramic. Do I have any grounds to take this bike back and either get my money back, have the bike store fix my bike for free, or exchange it for an other one? I have terrible anxiety other these kinds of things and would like to know from a more experienced community that I have some grounds to have them pay/exchange/refund before barging in there like an idiot trying to get my money back. Ideally I would rather get my money back as I think its kind of pathetic for GT to make such a fragile bike being a mountain bike and all.

mtbr member
    Nope you're out of luck. Bike store has no liability in your bike being destroyed due to your crashing it.

Also riding on the sidewalk is illegal in most places.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    So you're saying that bikes do not have to meet a certain quality standard? How would it be any different say if I was peddling and the pedal snapped off?

It is also legal to ride the sidewalks in my county.

mtbr member
    If you we're just pedaling and the pedal snapped off that's different. Then you can claim defective parts. Crashing your bike is user error. If you bought a tv from best buy and you dropped it trying to load it into your car, is that best buys fault? Do they owe you your money back because you broke it? There is only so much force bikes can handle regardless of being a mountain bike or not.

Not trying to be a dick, but it was your actions that caused damage to the bike not faulty equipment. Sorry about the damage but you're just going to have to suck it up and repair what you broke.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyBear View Post
    How would it be any different say if I was peddling and the pedal snapped off?

You weren't, it didn't. You crashed of your own accord, wasn't the bikes fault nor the manufacturer, just you. You chose the bike, it didn't choose you. **** breaks when you crash, get used to it because it sounds like you will be doing your fair share of it. If you want better equipment spend more of your hard earned money but it all breaks, especially when the decision making process comes up short. Remember, wear a helmet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    look at a blessing in disguise.. now you can upgrade your brakes and rims!

Interplanetary Poultry
    So you're saying that bikes do not have to meet a certain quality standard? How would it be any different say if I was peddling and the pedal snapped off?

It's highly unlikely that the pedal would snap off. As far as the brake lever, it doesn't matter how slow you were going, all that matters is how the lever hit the ground. Force in the right direction will snap the lever off. Bending the rim can happen in much the same way. If the wheel turned completely sideways and threw you off the bike, chances are it took a good deal of force. The wheel can likely be trued, and the lever can be replaced. As far as yelling "on your left" to someone on the sidewalk, that's just bad form. Go around pedestrians, and don't be so heavy on the front wheel.
    Editor In Chief, "Internet Tough Guy Magazine"
    "Home of Chuck Norris' Keyboard"

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    That is NOT a simple fall. Go back to your shop and have them order you a new brake lever. Unless your front wheel is badly taco'd.....your shop is most likely able to straighten the wheel out again.

Suck this one up to hard experience, brother....
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

Interplanetary Poultry
    BTW, do yourself a favor and be honest with the guy at the bike shop. Rolling in with a bent wheel and broken lever and then trying to give them a J.R.A. story won't endear you to them or anyone else.
    Editor In Chief, "Internet Tough Guy Magazine"
    "Home of Chuck Norris' Keyboard"

mtbr member

Re: Crashed/Broke new MTB on my way home

Get off the sidewalk

mtbr member
    May 2013

Crashed/Broke new MTB on my way home

I am new to mountain biking also. I have come to accept that you will crash. It's quite possible that something will get damaged during these experiences, including helmets(I just replaced a cracked helmet 2 months old). I realize that you spent a significant amount of money, but if all manufacturers were held to accept crash damage responsibilities, your $800 purchase would probably need to have increased to $1600 or more by the manufacturer to cover their costs.

The cost increase would in effect hold everyone hostage for 'just in case' costs to the manufacturer. I don't buy optional insurance on anything, but rather pay when or if the damage occurs. This approach seems logical to me.

So just put a new lever on it, have the wheel trued, and ride on!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Just bad luck dude. The wheel and brake lever could have lasted 10 years, but anything will break if you hit it just the wrong way.

I saw a nice Mavic front wheel on Craigslist today for 60 bucks.

I agree that you should tell the bike shop and they might give you a discount, or might have a brake lever laying around they will give you etc.

EDR
    I'm kind of upset that a $540 mountain bike can't withstand a simple fall. Mind you I was only going maybe 5-8mph
    What do you think would happen to a car if ran into a wall (in your case the ground) at 5-8mph? Some damage would occur of course. Heck an airbag could even deploy costing $1000 or even twice that amount to fix. All for a "simple" crash. Ya, back in the day when all cars had huge chrome plated steel bumpers a 5mph crash did nothing to a car except maybe put a dent in the bumper, but bikes don't have bumpers and neither to cars anymore for that matter.

Look, I feel for you, being a new bike and all but it is what it is.....you crashed and parts broke.

There are some things you can do to help mitigate these circumstances though.

1) If it were me I'd ride in the road to avoid people conflicts, but I have no idea where you live. Maybe riding in the road is a death sentence for you idk.
    2) Keep your levers and shifters just barely tight enough so they don't move while using them. I can always move mine with some force applied. This lets them rotate on the bars in a crash and hopefully avoids breaking of the levers. If you crank them down they have little option but to break when they hit the ground.

Go by the shop, explain what happened. Perhaps they will throw you a bone since you spent the extra money on the club and whatnot. Just don't go in there expecting a bone to be thrown your way.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Suck it up and fix it. You crashed, it happens. At least these are easy repairs.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    1. Stop riding on the sidewalk.

2. Man up and pay to get the bike fixed.

Titanium junkie
    Nothing to see here, move along....
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Where do you live?

mtbr member
    I was driving my new BMW today and had to swerve to avoid this Chihuahua in the road. I hit a light pole and guess what? The frickin $90K car dented. What a piece of crap low quality car.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Good News

I went to the bike shop and they where able to tru the wheel and it's now fixed. They are also ordering me new brake handles that they will put on when they come. Free of cost.

The lever/shifter idea is good I'm going to do that.

and I'm just going to ignore all of the high and mighty douche bag comments.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Man, you got tore up in this thread! Better here than at the bike shop.

I can understand a new rider expecting a bike and its parts to survive falling over, but as pointed out above, stuff breaks. Especially at that price point. Part of buying a less expensive bike is gambling that the parts will be durable and perform well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Nice of the shop to do. Learn from this, people don't listen. Slow down or even stop if you have to and say excuse me before speeding off through the grass. It could save your bike, and save you the embarrassment of taking a spill

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    ...and I'm just going to ignore all of the high and mighty douche bag comments.
    Uh, I'm pretty sure that's against the rules of the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    The bike didn't break, the components did, $500 worth of components won't get you very durable parts. You should have slowed down and not tried to pass her, regardless ped's have the right of way in any situation.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I prefer to ride in a way that prevents crashes and breaking things.

Totally legal to ride on the sidewalk in my city and state. A lot of times it is the better place to be.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    That's a problem with mtb manufacturers these days. $540 seems like a lot of money for a bike, but they just give you a bike path level of fork and wheels, etc. They call it a 'mountain' bike.
    Be prepared by this incident for the future if you ride this bike on the more difficult/fun trails.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast