1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Cranks and crankset? More information

I have Bulls and I would like to buy a new frame, so Im interested If I can transfer this crank in other frame.

This is my weakest area about bikes. So Im interested in cranks and cransets... What are the sizes, what types can be? How to take it apart or detach from bike frame? What tool I need? I google it and I havent found any good source about it.

So I would appreciate if someone can give me a good link or explain it to me.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Weed View Post
    I have Bulls and I would like to buy a new frame, so Im interested If I can transfer this crank in other frame.

This is my weakest area about bikes. So Im interested in cranks and cransets... What are the sizes, what types can be? How to take it apart or detach from bike frame? What tool I need? I google it and I havent found any good source about it.

Thanks!
    what is bulls?
    How much do you wanna spend?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    I would look on the internet/YouTube for videos on this.
    Let me google that for you

While you are at it you will need to investigate how to remove/install a bottom bracket as well. It seems intimidating at first, but with the proper tools it can easily be done.
    Let me google that for you

Word of warning -- Swapping parts from one frame to another seems like it would be logical and strait forward, but you may find worn or incompatible parts that need to be replaced. Budget more $$ than you think your project should cost, then add a little more.

Make sure you have the correct tools -- There is NO other way to do the job correctly.

Good luck on your project, and don't be afraid to ask questions here. Everyone has given me solid advice here while working on my bikes.

www.4estbiker.nl
    Oct 2012
    I'm also riding a Bulls. A Blackadder 29er. I believe all 29ers are using pressfit BB92.
    My bike is never the problem and can always be faster than I can...
    http://www.4estbikers.nl

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Im not that much interested in how to remove cranset, but how to know if that cranc will fit on other frame. So I would like to know standards and sizes!

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Im not that much interested in how to remove cranset, but how to know if that cranc will fit on other frame. So I would like to know standards and sizes!
    First - You will need to find out how your cranks cranks attach to your BB (Bottom Bracket)

You can use this web page to read up on just about everything you need to know about cranksets:
    Crankset - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Next you can use this page to read up on bottom brackets. Your crankset will attach to this in order to spin freely:
    Bottom bracket - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Does your new frameset have a bottom bracket installed already? Is it compatable with your existing crankset?

If you answered yes to both: Move your crankset over

If you answered no to either: Can you get a bottom bracket that is compatable with your crankset and new frameset?

If yes: Have a new BB installed and move your crankset over.
    If no: Look for a new crankset and BB that is compatable with your new frameset.

Hope this helps.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012

Thanks!
    It may also help to tell what bicycle you are coming from and what frameset you are moving to.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I still cant post images. So let try this way:

i.minus.com/ii6tUMHdbLqK.JPG
    i.minus.com/ib0Z5eMKztsESd.JPG
    i.minus.com/ilfLtJmGR3xHW.JPG

I want to move this to frame: cube reaction 2010

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012

I will post them for you:

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012

I have know nothing about this frame...

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Its either an ISIS spline or a Shimano Odctalink. Not sure which one.

guys?

Quote Originally Posted by p08757 View Post
    Its either an ISIS spline or a Shimano Odctalink. Not sure which one.

guys?
    neither one. standard Shimano outboard bearing bb and 2 piece crankset.

depends on the frame you want to put it on whether it'd work or not. As for tools, just look up bb tools for Shimano outboard bearing bottom brackets. Lots of manufacturers make them. You will need 2 special tools in addition to hex wrenches for the pinch bolts on the non-drive crankarm (and preferably a torque wrench for the installation).

You will need the bottom bracket tool for your specific bottom bracket, and a wrench to turn it. You will also need the little plastic tool for the plastic preload bolt on the non-drive crankarm. that preload bolt should only be finger tight, so you should not need a wrench to turn the preload bolt tool.