1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2010

crankbrothers 50/50 2 pedals? any good

coming from clipless and want to give flats a fair test. I just picked up five ten impact high shoes and am while out shopping I impulsively picked up a set of crankbrothers 50/50 2 pedals from REI. I haven't used them yet, but I was seeing mixed reviews on them.

I'm wondering if I should I return them and look for something else? the welgo mg1 or saint pedals look good to me in the same price range. There are a LOT of big rocks where I ride, so pedal strikes are a concern for me...

of course I did buy the pedals at REI, so I could just run them for a while and return them if I don't like them at any time (which I guess is why we pay higher price for things at REI).

I would just rather know if they are junk or not before I try them....some reviews say no, many say yes???

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by katoom400 View Post
    I'm wondering if I should I return them and look for something else? the welgo mg1 or saint pedals look good to me in the same price range. There are a LOT of big rocks where I ride, so pedal strikes are a concern for me...
    They're one of my least favorite flat pedals but they're functional. If given the choice between those options you mention I'd probably get the Saints or the Wellgos far before I considered the 50/50s.

I suppose they've improved the design since the first pedals but those first pedals put a pretty sour taste in my mouth when they would split in half while riding.

Lots of great pedal options out there, take a look at the many threads on the topic.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Yes, I know the original 50/50 pedals where the really bad ones. wondering if anyone has any experience with the new design?

I guess I can just run them and find out...with REI's return policy I have nothing to lose.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I just put a set of Shimano Saints on my bike. I L-O-V-E them. I can't believe how much they helped my riding. Got them at chainreactioncycles for $56. That is $30 cheaper than any other site I found. Best $56 I have spent on my bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I just got back into riding and purchased a Santa Cruz Nomad and the LBS recommended the 50/50's. So far so good, I've put about 150 miles on them in the last few weeks and they have worked flawlessly.