1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

CrankArm Help Please!

What's up everyone,
    I'm quite new to the mountain bike game, but really enjoy riding bikes and dirtbikes, so I went with buying a mountain bike (kind of the middle of riding a bike and dirtbike..atleast for me )

Really enjoyed riding my bike constantly, for about two weeks, but ran into a small problem. It was always hard to screw a pedal into one of my crank arms and I noticed the other day that the pedal (shimano) was very loose. I took the pedal off with a wrench (no trouble at all) and realized all the threads inside of the crank arm were gone. This brings me to the point of buying a new crank arm. I have a 2004 specialized enduro expert, and it says it has Shimano Hollowtech II Crankarms. Could I simply buy a hollowtech crankarm off the internet and do it myself? I've been looking around, but I don't really know exactly what to look for, and haven't found much. I know my pedals fit a 9/16 crankarm, but that's about all I know!!!!
    Any help would be muchhhhh appreciated because I wanna get back to riding!
    Thanks,
    Jake

mtbr member
    it might be hard to find just a single crankarm. see if your local bike shop has any. but if you can find a single crankarm you should be able to install it yourself. check the repair section at parktool.com.

when you do reinstall your pedals remember that your left pedal has reverse threaded. put a little grease on the threads before putting the pedals back on.

Ride the dream
    In all fairness, deore hollowtech cranks aint expensive anyway - and they do the job well.

Depending on how old your current set it - it might be a better option as you get new rings and bearings thrown in.

Just throwing another option up in the air for you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Anyone have a good link I can look at? Hopefully cheap

mtbr member
    May 2008
    $100 Shimano LX here

mtbr member
    SR Suntour, I'd say

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Looked up the suntours

http://www.amazon.com/SR-Suntour-Cra.../dp/B000C14HO2

Says it is offset from shimano, what does that mean?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Anyone??

mtbr member
    BigJake,

Well, if you are running a Hollowtech II crank, you will not be able to run that SR crankarm, as it is for a square taper bottom bracket. If I am not mistaken, the Hollowtech II cranksets are the external BB cranks, which use a spline attachment on the crankarm. The thing is, any decent bike shop should be able to order a new arm for you. Quality Bike Products (QBP) is a distributor that almost every shop uses and they offer many single arms. Good luck!

local trails rider
    Hollowtech or Hollowtech 2 ?

Hollowtech 2 is the one for external bearings and you can see through the crank axle.