1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: crank help.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

crank help.

Hey guys, I need some help. I really just need to make sure im not going break anything on my bike. So I picked up a new chainring today after my last one took a beating. This is my first chainring swap so I had a shop take off the crank arm. I was told I could put it all back on relatively easily. I have an Octalink Crank arm. For some reason I cannot get it on. I match everything up, and it just wont go on. I even took a rubber mallet and tried to force it on... then thought better of it.
    My question is: Is there anything I am missing?
    Thanks

Also, I am doing this myself mostly so I know how everything works on my bike better, but If need be, I will have the LBS put it back on, but I am trying to slowly become independent of the Local Bike Shop.

mtbr member
    Crank Removal & Installation- ISIS Drive or Octalink

maybe search for a you tube video.

hard to say what you doing wrong without seeing what you are doing.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks. The Park tool help did the job. didnt align the spines correctly. Its on, so now to everything else. Thanks.
    -Matt

mtbr member
    Book mark the Parktool site for future help. It is a great place to start when looking for how to advice.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.