1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Crank Brothers Mallet 1s

I just picked up a pair at my LBS, they were on sale - they are the new mallet 1's in black. I'm undecided, is there anyone out there that swears by them or conversely hates them? I really wanted a platform for the security when bombing down a single track - but like the clipless for the big climb before the downhill.

What do you guys think?

MTBR Member
    I bought a pair a couple of months ago and have no complaints so far. They're easy to get in and out of. They work well in muddy conditions and the platform, with adjustable pins, is solid. Have yet to bang them on a rock so we'll see how they hold up. The durability is pretty much the only issue I have heard of.

responsible zombie owner
    I've had Mallet Cs for a year and they are great. no problems so far except the paint comes off where the cleats and shoes rub. i've found them easier to get into than smaller-platform Smartys, and they do give more confidence when you want the big platform or need to ride unclipped. durability seems solid even at C-level.

they are pretty heavy but they're perfect for heavy duty cycling.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    yeah, i got them - used them this weekend, and i beat the **** outta them - but they're still working fine. 27 miles through the rocky san gabes in southern california. they took a couple dozen rock hits and still look good and function properly. the paint does come off pretty quickly with cleat contact and rock contact though...

~I Ride In Circles ~
    I got the Mallet 2's for my singlespeed so I could ride casually around town without my bike shoes. They're tough pedals and for the size aren't that heavy. I like them. Plus they look cool
    [SIZE=3]
    ~ it's all good ~
    [/SIZE]