1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

New question here. Crank Brothers 5050 x Bearings

How do I service these pedals, my friend purchased them about 2months ago and the bearings sound absolutely knackered! He's quite reluctant to let me start pulling them in bits and doesn't think the shop will warranty them as there's a few scratches on them, does anyone know the procedure for servicing them? Any help much appreciated

Former Bike Wrench
    Strait from Crank Bros website

"Can the 5050's be rebuilt?
    Both pedals are serviceable. The 50/50 X can be serviced by repacking the loose ball bearings with grease. The 50/50 XX can be serviced by injecting grease into the grease port. The 50/50 XX bearing can be replaced with a rebuild kit."

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Do I just pry the plastic cap out of the end of the pedal and undo a nut then? He doesn't like the sound of me attacking the plastic cap unless I know for sure

Former Bike Wrench
    No you should not pry the end caps, you should unscrew them and then undo the nut. Do it over a rag as the ball bearings are likely to come out unexpectedly once you remove the nut and start separating the axle from the pedal body.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Hmmm.....it just seemed to spin when I tried screwing it out? Any suggestions? Does it need to be pushed in and turned at same time like a safety cap?

Free Beer...Vlamm!
    Screw counter-clock wise or assure you that your hex key is not freespinning on the plastic top cap. I personnaly got the 5050XX pedals and I also need to re-grease thems often. An other thing about theses pedals, put blue locktite on the bolts of the plates. They tend to loose and fall...
    لσﺡ∂η

InTeNsE RaCeRs ArE NoT DeMo-InG On RaCeS

mtbr member
    the bearings won't fall out if they are sealed..
    Singlespeed since September 24, 2006.

Free Beer...Vlamm!
    Haha I know, not the bearings, I was meaning the plates bolts ...Never seen bearings falling off and it's a good thing:P haha
    لσﺡ∂η

InTeNsE RaCeRs ArE NoT DeMo-InG On RaCeS

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Haven't got round to servicing them yet(Lazy I know but the mate who owns the bike had a very nasty coming together with the handlebar stem!). One thing was the plastic end cap wasn't threaded, I spun it both clockwise and anticlockwise and it didnt come out so I put a small hole through it and hooked it out(Proper Bodge It Technique!), used a bit of silicone to fill the hole up and keep the grime out.