1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Crank Brother Eggbeaters

I'm planning to convert to clipless soon. Are there any big differences with the year manufacture between 2011 2012 and 2013 ? the price varies a lot, so i was curious if there is any major differences. The 2011 is selling for $75 2013 is $110. Can i clip it in from both sides ? Is this a beginner friendly since it with be my first time doing clipless.

EDR

Re: Crank Brother Eggbeaters

I don't think eggbeaters are beginner friendly at all. I suggest shimano SPD as they have adjustable tension and optional multi release cleats. The M520 are great and can be found for half the price of those eb's (which have no tension adjustments)

mtbr member

I started five years ago road biking in egg beaters. No problem don't see how multi sided entry is not "beginner friendly". I have candies or egg beaters on all of my bikes.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

EDR

I didn't say 4 sided entry is unfriendly....I said lack of tension adj was. But feel free to read whatever you want into my post, and disagree.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    I didn't say 4 sided entry is unfriendly....I said lack of tension adj was. But feel free to read whatever you want into my post, and disagree.
    Your first sentence "I don't think eggbeaters are beginner friendly at all"

And there are two tension adjustment settings on CB cleats.

Sorry to offend.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dbigfot111 View Post
    I'm planning to convert to clipless soon. Are there any big differences with the year manufacture between 2011 2012 and 2013 ? the price varies a lot, so i was curious if there is any major differences. The 2011 is selling for $75 2013 is $110. Can i clip it in from both sides ? Is this a beginner friendly since it with be my first time doing clipless.
    Don't know about the difference in years of manufacture, but they make it in several levels (1, 2, 3, and a titanium version). The only difference between the levels are price and material, with titanium being the most expensive.

Egg beaters are as simple as its going to get for clipless. You don't have to worry about adjusting anything on the pedal itself. There is no tension adjustment on the pedal, no float adjustment, etc. You install it and that's it.

For beginners, the cleat can be installed on your shoe so that it takes less movement of your foot to release. The cleat can installed for either a 15 degree release angle (earlier release), or 20 degree release angle (later release). That's pretty much the only adjustment you have to make. Nice and simple. You may also want to check out the Candy pedal, which is an Eggbeater with a small platform around it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Crank Brother Eggbeaters

Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    I don't think eggbeaters are beginner friendly at all. I suggest shimano SPD as they have adjustable tension and optional multi release cleats. The M520 are great and can be found for half the price of those eb's (which have no tension adjustments)
    looks like you said eggbeaters are not beginner friendly at all

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I suggest you to get CB candy1. Only less 10 grams from egg eaters, and with padel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Crank Brother Eggbeaters

I can agree that there is reason to doubt eggbeaters for new clipless riders. I started with EBs my first year or so. As i began to tackle more technical trails, I began to have trouble releasing in sticky situations and often fell into rocks etc. some pretty nasty thigh bruises. If you are riding anything technical think about shimano SPD with the multi-release cleats. I did so after one freak accident where not being able to release on a steep, techie up section led to a broken ankle.
    If you're really honest about it, they're all "cheater lines".

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I started riding with Eggbeater 3s and had no problems. I've never tried anything else however. I chose them because of their simple, lightweight design and because a lot of people around here run them and like them.

They are easy to get out of. I set them for a 15-degree release. They don't need a tension adjustment.

I got mine about 18 months ago. My son got his a few months ago (from Amazon for about $80), and they are identical to mine.

I have read a lot of complaints here on MTBR about durability, but the complaints seem to be mostly about the cheaper models. Go with the 3s. Pedals are a high-stress part. Mine have 2000 miles on them. I greased them once, and they are as good as new. Still running the original cleats which have worn just a little.

Yes, you can clip in from FOUR sides (2 for the candies).

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    thank you guys i will look into spd also, what type of shoe go with clipless, and is all of them the same?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Any type of mountain bike shoe will fit any mountain bike cleats (which come with the pedals).

Try different brands for best fit. I wanted Shimano because of good reviews and good price. However, they would not fit me comfortably, so I got Bontrager.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by attaboy View Post
    I can agree that there is reason to doubt eggbeaters for new clipless riders. I started with EBs my first year or so. As i began to tackle more technical trails, I began to have trouble releasing in sticky situations and often fell into rocks etc. some pretty nasty thigh bruises. If you are riding anything technical think about shimano SPD with the multi-release cleats. I did so after one freak accident where not being able to release on a steep, techie up section led to a broken ankle.
    I learned on Smarty's since it came with the shoes... since the smarty is the cheaper version of the Candy, I had no issues releasing in sticky situations. Heck, some times during a good crash, I even wondered how I got out in the first place.

Back to the original topic. About 2012, crank brothers put stronger springs in them, so that when you hit the bottom of the pedal, you don't come out of the pedal (as much)...improved bearings also....

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisF View Post
    Any type of mountain bike shoe will fit any mountain bike cleats (which come with the pedals).

Try different brands for best fit. I wanted Shimano because of good reviews and good price. However, they would not fit me comfortably, so I got Bontrager.
    so when i buy pedals it will come with cleats? then i take the cleats and mount it to the shoes?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Exactly.

mtbr member
    Whether we're talking eggbeaters, candies, whatever, Crank Bros started making their supposed air/water tight design, not sure what year, on all the their pedals, except the cheapest #1 models, so maybe that's why you're finding price differences.
    Round and round we go

Picture Unrelated
    so when i buy pedals it will come with cleats? then i take the cleats and mount it to the shoes?
    Correct.

Buy whatever shoe fits your foot well; ideally, you'll be wearing those shoes for a couple years so make sure you like them. My feet pronate pretty heavily and I put aftermarket insoles in everything I ride with, something to think about.

I also think that Eggbeaters are not ideal for beginners (plus, I hate those fragile, self ejecting, impossible to stand on unless you get one with a body pedals) and you would be much better served with an SPD pedal. With the combination of adjustable tension and the ability to run the "multi release" cleats you will have the best chance of success.

But on the other hand, I don't think any beginner should use clipless pedals and a rider should have strong, at minimum, intermediate skills before riding clipless pedals... a story which is well discussed across the forum.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I'll toss in an extra vote for SPDs as well. I ran Crank Bros Candy 3s this past year, and the quick wear on the cleats and crappy (even if new and improved) bearings made me switch back to SPDs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    About 2012, crank brothers put stronger springs in them, so that when you hit the bottom of the pedal, you don't come out of the pedal (as much)...improved bearings also....
    Cool -- is there some mark to tell which year-model you have? I got mine in late '11. As I recall they were phasing out a series that had some naming convention other than 1, 2, 3, & 11. Mine are definitely 3, so do I have the new ones?

Mine will release if you slam it down on a rock -- not sure that that is a bad thing, tho .

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I been riding for 4 months. I wanted to move on for awhile. Now. As for shoe are there any particular shoes you guys recommand?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    buy shoes that fit.

going clipless for first time is scary. I've never used EB, but no adjustable tension sounds scary.

clipless road biking way easier than clipless mountain biking.

either way, if you to minimize likliehood of scars/broken bones, practice clipless on grassy park over and over and over. get muscle memory down there instead of rocky trail.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I end up with SPD 959, i also went ahead pick up the shoe for $55 now its time to practice thank you for all the help guys. I will post pictures later

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I tried to adjust the tension screw but it is very very tight. what do you guys reccommand to make the screw easy to adjust?

EDR

I tried to adjust the tension screw but it is very very tight. what do you guys reccommand to make the screw easy to adjust?
    Are these Shimano XTR pedals?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Nevermind i got it to work. I believe they are an older model of Shimano xtr. The original box manual says Shimano PD-M959

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast