1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mullos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    66

    Crank Bros 5050 X bearings

    OK sports fans listen up - 1st of all how the hell are you all?

    Ok I'm the guy that recently purchased some MTB shoes to clip in to my Shimano 515's that came with my Specialized Epic Comp and have since decided that clipless whilst it has it's benefits is not for me - took away the fun as all I could think about was getting out and wondering how a broken ankle would feel!!

    Purchased some Crank Bros 5050 X flats - got em home and opened the box and marvelled at how sexy these things looked - then I turned the spindle - OK I'm a Newbie but have read a little about load bearing bearings and these things seemed to me to be a little rough when turning the spindle - actually that is an understatement - rough as guts would be a more appropriate description.

    How should pedal bearings feel - I know that my 515's when turning the spindle were as smooth as but these 5050's feel like there is something wrong - I'm thinking that there is an obvious explanation for this given that these are expensive gear but my very basic bearing knowledge is telling me this cannot be right.

    Any suggestions - I have emailed Crank Bros but as this is Saturday for me I can't wait!!

    Cheers.

  2. #2
    banned
    Reputation: standard235's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,556
    I think that is just quality bearings dude. My Kona Jackshit do the same thing. They are buttery fluid smooth. I'm gonna pull the bearings and stuff apart eventually and oil them up good.

  3. #3
    JMH
    JMH is offline
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Reputation: JMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,709

    Preload

    Rough is bad.

    Just a HINT of play will make your bearings last longer and roll smoother. Take the endcap off and loosen the nut in there until the roughness is gone and there is just a hint of play. Not "slapping around and making noise play", but "I can just barely think I feel the play" play.

    JMH

    Quote Originally Posted by Mullos
    OK sports fans listen up - 1st of all how the hell are you all?

    Ok I'm the guy that recently purchased some MTB shoes to clip in to my Shimano 515's that came with my Specialized Epic Comp and have since decided that clipless whilst it has it's benefits is not for me - took away the fun as all I could think about was getting out and wondering how a broken ankle would feel!!

    Purchased some Crank Bros 5050 X flats - got em home and opened the box and marvelled at how sexy these things looked - then I turned the spindle - OK I'm a Newbie but have read a little about load bearing bearings and these things seemed to me to be a little rough when turning the spindle - actually that is an understatement - rough as guts would be a more appropriate description.

    How should pedal bearings feel - I know that my 515's when turning the spindle were as smooth as but these 5050's feel like there is something wrong - I'm thinking that there is an obvious explanation for this given that these are expensive gear but my very basic bearing knowledge is telling me this cannot be right.

    Any suggestions - I have emailed Crank Bros but as this is Saturday for me I can't wait!!

    Cheers.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mullos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by standard235
    I think that is just quality bearings dude. My Kona Jackshit do the same thing. They are buttery fluid smooth. I'm gonna pull the bearings and stuff apart eventually and oil them up good.
    Thanks for the reply mate,

    Problem is that the bearings are not buttery smooth when the pedal spindle is turned by hand - they feel very dodgy indeed - both pedals are brand new out of the box and both appear to share the problem - if this is how high quality bearings feel then I would be very suprpised!!

    My old pedals are shimano 515's - they came with the bike and when you turn the spindle by hand they are smooth - they do not spin freely say like a rear derailleur pulley when the chain is out but then again load bearing parts like bottom brackets and pedals shoud not but they should spin smoothly I think.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mullos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    Rough is bad.

    Just a HINT of play will make your bearings last longer and roll smoother. Take the endcap off and loosen the nut in there until the roughness is gone and there is just a hint of play. Not "slapping around and making noise play", but "I can just barely think I feel the play" play.

    JMH
    Thanks for the reply mate,

    yeah I agree - rough has to be bad.

    You would think a high quality pedal such as this would come already adjusted and I am hesitant to start pulling the pedals apart in case I have to return them but your solution sounds very tempting only I'm not so keen to pull them apart as marking or scratching the plastic end caps might make it a bit more difficult to return them if they are in fact faulty.

    Crank Bros has a solid reputaion for high quality so I am surprised at this apparent problem - bloody expensive pedals made in China that come with dodgy bearings - not happy!!

  6. #6
    JMH
    JMH is offline
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Reputation: JMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,709

    I understand

    I can understand your reluctance, and your reasoning makes sense.

    FWIW, I have seen pedals with this problem before, right out of the box, too. I think it's just that the sealed bearings in pedals are SO tiny, it's easy for them to get overtightened during automated assembly. It's not like some bearded craftsman lovingly assembled them in his shop in the Rockies...

    Just check out the dustcap thing, if you are careful it will only take 1 minute start-to-finish. Then you will know if that is the problem, or if it is something else.

    JMH

    Quote Originally Posted by Mullos
    Thanks for the reply mate,

    yeah I agree - rough has to be bad.

    You would think a high quality pedal such as this would come already adjusted and I am hesitant to start pulling the pedals apart in case I have to return them but your solution sounds very tempting only I'm not so keen to pull them apart as marking or scratching the plastic end caps might make it a bit more difficult to return them if they are in fact faulty.

    Crank Bros has a solid reputaion for high quality so I am surprised at this apparent problem - bloody expensive pedals made in China that come with dodgy bearings - not happy!!

  7. #7
    JMH
    JMH is offline
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Reputation: JMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,709

    No... a socket of some sort.

    A pliers will just make a mess of it... you need a socket of some sort. Regular Crank Bros (Candy, etc) have an 8mm nut, but I think most platforms use a 9mm.

    Engage!

    JMH

    Quote Originally Posted by Mullos
    It's not like some bearded craftsman lovingly assembled them in his shop in the Rockies...

    For the price of these things 2 bearded dudes should be assembling these things fully suited up in a clean room leased from Intel.

    Yeah - I took off the dustcap and the bolt is way inside the pedal - what tool would you use to access this - some long nosed pliers I suppose.

    BTW thanks for the help.

    Cheers.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mullos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    66
    It's not like some bearded craftsman lovingly assembled them in his shop in the Rockies...

    For the price of these things 2 bearded dudes should be assembling these things fully suited up in a clean room leased from Intel.

    Yeah - I took off the dustcap and the bolt is way inside the pedal - what tool would you use to access this - some long nosed pliers I suppose.

    BTW thanks for the help.

    Cheers.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mullos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    A pliers will just make a mess of it... you need a socket of some sort. Regular Crank Bros (Candy, etc) have an 8mm nut, but I think most platforms use a 9mm.

    Engage!

    JMH
    Thanks JMH,

    Will give it a go tomorrow - it's just about to turn 4.00PM and the bar will open so going to have some beers and not stress about it - will have a couple for you mate.

    Dug up my socket set so have the necessary tools - will let ya know - thanks.

  10. #10
    Vaginatarian
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,685
    Quote Originally Posted by Mullos
    Thanks JMH,

    Will give it a go tomorrow - it's just about to turn 4.00PM and the bar will open so going to have some beers and not stress about it - will have a couple for you mate.

    Dug up my socket set so have the necessary tools - will let ya know - thanks.
    before you start tearing things apart, why not go to a local bike shop and check out another pair, if they are also like the first maybe they just need to break in a little, if not yours might be defective

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mullos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    before you start tearing things apart, why not go to a local bike shop and check out another pair, if they are also like the first maybe they just need to break in a little, if not yours might be defective
    I live on the mid north coast of NSW Australia and my nearest LBS is 200 clicks away and no-one seems to stock these things - too exy I think. Had to order them in - should have checked them before paying but opening up the box and turning the spindles just did not occur to me - you learn something new everyday!!

    Godamm these beers are going down well!!

    Cheers.

  12. #12
    Vaginatarian
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,685
    Quote Originally Posted by Mullos
    I live on the mid north coast of NSW Australia and my nearest LBS is 200 clicks away and no-one seems to stock these things - too exy I think. Had to order them in - should have checked them before paying but opening up the box and turning the spindles just did not occur to me - you learn something new everyday!!

    Godamm these beers are going down well!!

    Cheers.
    I'll check out a pair tomorrow if you want, when you say rough do you mean tight or clicky

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mullos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    I'll check out a pair tomorrow if you want, when you say rough do you mean tight or clicky

    Mate you are a champion - much appreciated.

    yeah, it's a clicky kind of feel and it's not as though the 'clicks' are the same distance apart if you know what I mean - kind of random but definately feels wrong - will wait for your reply.

    Thanks mate.

  14. #14
    Vaginatarian
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,685
    Quote Originally Posted by Mullos
    Mate you are a champion - much appreciated.

    yeah, it's a clicky kind of feel and it's not as though the 'clicks' are the same distance apart if you know what I mean - kind of random but definately feels wrong - will wait for your reply.

    Thanks mate.
    the ones here don't spin freely, but the don't have any clickeyness, they just turn like they are packed with grease. seems like you might have some defective ones

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mullos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    the ones here don't spin freely, but the don't have any clickeyness, they just turn like they are packed with grease. seems like you might have some defective ones
    Yeah - there should be some resistance but should still spin smoothly - luck of the Irish I guess.

    Thank you very much for going to the trouble. The MTB'ing community seem to go out of their way to help others - one of the reasons I took it up - maybe we should run the world!!

    Cheers.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbidwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    702
    For What it is worth- I also have a pair of the 50/50's and mine were a tad " clicky" out of the box. However once mounted they were very smooth. I believe they came w/ a servicing guide in the box. Good Luck

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mullos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbidwell
    For What it is worth- I also have a pair of the 50/50's and mine were a tad " clicky" out of the box. However once mounted they were very smooth. I believe they came w/ a servicing guide in the box. Good Luck

    I did install the pedals and yes it does mask the clicky feel somewhat but I'm still going to rip them off and play with the adjusting nut - I reckon there are better pedals on the market considering the price (150.00 AUD) but they do look smick!!

  18. #18
    The Casual Rider
    Reputation: CE750's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    592
    Quote Originally Posted by Mullos
    Crank Bros has a solid reputaion for high quality so I am surprised at this apparent problem - bloody expensive pedals made in China that come with dodgy bearings - not happy!!
    I think their quality has gone down from what I remember, and my 50/50 set, while nice in many ways still costs $119 which is a lot for a "made in China" part that couldn't have cost them more than $5 to make..
    I came, I rode, and I crashed!
    My Bike

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mullos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by CE750
    I think their quality has gone down from what I remember, and my 50/50 set, while nice in many ways still costs $119 which is a lot for a "made in China" part that couldn't have cost them more than $5 to make..
    Yeah mate, could not agree with you more.

    Crank Bros may originally have been a top quality piece of gear but the corporate gremlin has got hold of them like many other companies who start out making something of great quality only to find themselves successful followed swiftly by greed and concern only for the bottom line although initially producing a quality part.

    The responce I got from Crank Bros was that the bearings are packed tight deliberately and that they come good after being installed and used - yeah right.

    I will never buy their products again after this experience - I could have got a flat pedal just as good if not better for half that price - say DMR for example.

    You win some and you lose some I guess - part of life.

  20. #20
    Get your freak on!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,698
    Quote Originally Posted by Mullos
    Yeah mate, could not agree with you more.

    Crank Bros may originally have been a top quality piece of gear but the corporate gremlin has got hold of them like many other companies who start out making something of great quality only to find themselves successful followed swiftly by greed and concern only for the bottom line although initially producing a quality part.

    The responce I got from Crank Bros was that the bearings are packed tight deliberately and that they come good after being installed and used - yeah right.

    I will never buy their products again after this experience - I could have got a flat pedal just as good if not better for half that price - say DMR for example.

    You win some and you lose some I guess - part of life.
    Don't give up yet! It is common for parts to be overpacked with grease, and once used, they become good. Chris king hubs are like this, in that they are made to such tight tolerances that the first 50hours of riding you get extreme drag and have to always adjust the hubs.. after this 'break in period' they are smooth and perfect.

    Crank brothers is a great company with great service, give them a try

    I have DMR flat pedals.. and although alot cheaper then yours, (they cost 80US) aren't smooth.


  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mullos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    66

    I take it all back!!

    Been using the pedals for a few weeks now and yeah - the bearings have loosened up - gotta think it out next time I shoot my mouth off!!


    oops!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •