1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Crank Arm

mtbr member
    May 2008

We the people ... Crank Arm

Took off for my normal lunch time ride the other day and about 5 miles into the ride my left crank arm comes off and is hanging from my shoe. I get off my bike, locate the bolt a few feet behind where it came off and tighten it back on as tight as I can with my park tool. About 3 miles later it comes off again. This time I couldn't find the bolt anywhere so I limped it back to work.

I am going to take it in to the LBS where I purchased it and have a new bolt put on. I just had it tuned there about 2 months ago. Just wondering if this happens often or if it's a sign of something else wrong. My bike is an '05 but never got ridden until this year so it's basically brand new. What worries me is the fact that the damn thing came off shortly after I had just put it back on.

Should I just make sure and put some lock tight on it when it's put back on or could there be something else wrong that is making it come loose.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, wasn't sure. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

Cheezy Rider
    I've never heard of a properly torqued crank bolt coming loose by itself. I wouldn't use locktite, take it to the shop and have them install it correctly.

Or by one of these
    http://tinyurl.com/6rkt55

and these
    http://tinyurl.com/6k9b77

EDR
    what crankset are you running?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    what crankset are you running?
    I don't remember off the top of my head but according to Bikepedia my '05 HKEK came with a Bontrager Select, 22/32/44, and the pedals are PD-M505 SPD.

Last edited by ochoco; 06-30-2008 at 04:11 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    LBS just put on a new bolt and basically just reefed it on. I asked they guy who did it for a torque spec and he basically said just really tight. Another guy at the shop who I have talked to a few times when going in told me it's common for this to happen and I should try and remember to do a bolt tightness check every now and then.

No biggie, I should probably check everything more than I have been anyway, just didn't realise crank arm bolts coming loose was all that common.