mtbr member

Correct shoe for pedal (any feedback)

I've been riding for 4-5 years just decided to start riding clipped in, I've been looking at the Crankbrothers mallet DH cause I do alot of downhill, Although I do a lot of XC. So I was wondering: if I were to get the Mallet DH - would it be considered a kook/rookie thing to get a proper mtb shoe (I'm thinking specialized mtb pro), or should I go for a freeride shoe. I want the stiff sole of an mtb shoe but the style and casual feel of a freeride shoe. I don't want something that does both I mainly just want someone to comfirm whether it's a common thing to ride mtb shoes with a pedal like the Mallet.

Any replies much appreciated

mtbr member
    First off, I ride the Crank Bros Mallet Pedal on my new Bronson and I absolutely love the pedals. It was my first (and still is) my first set of clipless pedals that I have been riding for about 3 years (across multiple bikes).

If you are going to get a clipless pedal, as long as the shoe has a spot for cleats you are going to be fine either way. Do what feels right for you. Personally I ride the Giro Privateer and do more 'freeriding' but am also pedaling to the top 95% of the time.

A more casual shoe like FiveTen shoes may be more comfortable and match your style more, but wont be as efficient pedaling (we are not talking a big difference here).

One thing to consider is walking. Are you going to be walking around the trail building jumps/features? Or strictly riding your bike with shoes on. The casual shoes are going to probably be a better choice if you plan on walking around a lot.

Hope that helps

I think Ride-Aid covered it on the post already.

I like the 5.10 Maltese falcon, similar to Minnar clipless compatible shoes, I use it with the Shimano M647. Love it. I have 2 CB Acids but not my cup of tea.

As for sole stiffness, I think the 5.10 is plenty stiff.