1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Considering x caliber 9 need help

Hello guys,
    I'm a total beginner besides riding my bike as a kid, so it's been years. :P I went to a LBS, which was mainly a trek dealer, they told me that i should get the X Caliber 9. i plan on using it to commute to work and home which is a 6 mile round trip. Plus i live near a singletrack trail so i would take it on there. I'm 6' 2" and 220# so i was told i should have an air shock which is why the X Cal 9 was recommended. I was curious if this was a good choice or what other bikes are comparable around the same price range. ($1200) THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Air shock is always the way to go. Coil isn't very able to be tuned. You could find cheaper bike with a air shock such as an airbourne with a better part spec and lower price. You do gain shop support if you buy the x-cal. I would ask around and see if the shop really does offer good support. Ive worked at big shops where there really wasn't much customer support.
    2010 D440 Redline Rigid 1x9
    2011 Trek Remedy 8 1x10
    2012 Jamis Dragon 2x10
    2013 Diamondback Sortie 3 1x10

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    the shop was not a franchised store it was a small shop with a lot of bikes mainly road bikes.I sat and talked with an employee who had 20+ yrs of experience for over an hr and a half and had helped build a trail in my area and he was saying that due to my size i should have the air shock is that true or just made up?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    at your weight he is correct the a cheap coil fork would just keep bottoming out
    2010 D440 Redline Rigid 1x9
    2011 Trek Remedy 8 1x10
    2012 Jamis Dragon 2x10
    2013 Diamondback Sortie 3 1x10

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    i assume that the airborne model you are refering to is the goblin?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    That's a good bike. Airborne has a 970 Seeker which is comparable and a Goblin.
    On ebay a 2013 Marin Bobcat 29 20.5" is about 650 with a good Raidon air fork. This is comparable for less.
    Scott has a Scale model which compares.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    sweet ill look in to those thanks for the replies

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I am 260 and doing fine on x-caliber 8, sounds like a up sale to me
    Last edited by meirvin; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:02 PM.
    Best Photo Booth in Dallas Fort Worth
    http://www.snapzsnapz.com

Fat-tired Roadie
    At your pricepoint, I like secondhand. You can get some really nice bikes for $600 and up, used, but I don't think new bikes really get good until spending more like $1500. (But, what fork is on the X-Cal?)
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Rockshox xc32 with solo air spring

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    The 2012 X-Caliber was my first bike into MTB before they came out of the series of several versions, was around $1600. Did great for me as a learning curve before I switched to full suspension. Air shock is the way to go though and you'll get a lifetime warranty on the frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Thanks for all the help I'll probably end up getting the x cal

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I have an 2014 X-Cal 9 as my first mtb. I chose it because I could ride it around a bit and had local shop support. I wasn't about to buy my first bike online, for fear of not being able to sit on it in person. I really didn't like the idea of assembly, because of my limited knowledge of bike maintenance and such. Also, I would hate to work with a returns department and I like instant gratification of driving away with a new purchase.

The bike itself is great, I went to 4 local bike shops and sat on some specialized and fuji hardtails too (a good new full suspension was out of my budget). I ended up working my way from an X-Cal 7 to 9 for the reason of the fork and smoother shifting components. I also wanted to avoid any immediate feature envy, and pony-ed up the extra cash.

Not really anything that I would say is a negative. I spent a little more cash up front and don't regret it. If I could have had an experienced MTB friend point out a good used bike that I could test ride in person, I *may* have considered it.

I am slowly learning what I would choose to upgrade to fit my riding environment and style, but I didn't know what my personal preferences were until I owned and rode the same bike a few dozen hours.

Keeping up with my friend on a FS Specialized Epic Comp with a few upgrades really tells me it will be more about my preference and riding style.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

The Goblin is a great bike and the assembly is minimal - putting front wheel on, turning the stem around, attaching the handle bars and attaching the seat post with saddle. Honestly, the component package on the bike blows anything else in it's price range ($1199) away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clueless Bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by bjames View Post
    I spent a little more cash up front and don't regret it. If I could have had an experienced MTB friend point out a good used bike that I could test ride in person, I *may* have considered it.

I am slowly learning what I would choose to upgrade to fit my riding environment and style, but I didn't know what my personal preferences were until I owned and rode the same bike a few dozen hours.

Keeping up with my friend on a FS Specialized Epic Comp with a few upgrades really tells me it will be more about my preference and riding style.
    We have a winner....Best advice on this entire thread.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Re: Considering x caliber 9 need help

I like the way the G2 geometry on the Treks handle. Get a good frame & fork -- the rest you'll probably end up upgrading eventually anyway.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

I have a 2012 Trek Mamba. Love it, but yes, I wish I had the air fork instead of the spring. I ride the spring shock with the lockout on all the time since it still gives while the lockout is on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SRL
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I`m 300 lbs and riding an X-cal 6. I ride 5km to work every day (one way) where I lock my from shocks, and I am constantly riding through the river valley where its a mixed bag of paved and gravel double track, and dirt single track.

I've had no issues what so ever so far. Given, I`m a beginner and taking things slow, so not doing the more advanced spots just yet. But, I figured this bike will last till I lose some weight and become a more advanced rider, then I`ll upgrade. x-cal 6 comes with the hydraulic breaks, which is what i needed for my heaviness. The LBS guys were telling me that if i wanted to spend more, to go for the 8, instead of teh 7, just because the upgrades were more noticeable. Not sure the difference with the 9 though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    thanks i just got my bike ordered in from the LBS and they are gonna raise the handle bar stem to accomodate my long torse I'm pumped to get it it cant come soon enough i just wanna ride. I went with the x cal 9