1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

confidence or curiousity

What made you decide to take that first jump over a gap or first huge drop with your mtb. Im talking about riders who start out xc then turn am/dh and started doing more technical trails like telonics and pg in laguna.

T.W.O.
    Telonic? first time? It's more madness It's such a fun trail. It's scary as hell the first time but you get so addicted. I don't have the right rig to do the "proper" run but my trail bikes do the job just fine. I'd love to take a few run with some DH rig

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    Confident curiosity, and blatant disregard for my own well being.

Some call it stupidity, I call it fun.
    '09 Specialized Rockhopper expert 29
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

mtbr member
    not sure i'll ever jump my bike, i think the longest drop was like 5ft... but i haven't properly riden since i left the UK when i was 19... now at 31 you realise life actually can end pretty quickly

T.W.O
    Sometimes you just gotta' man up and pull your ballsack out. Not saying people who don't do that stuff aren't good riders or are *****s, but sometimes you just have to go for it. I've ridden stuff over my head and hurt my self, specifically when I was just starting out, but that shed my fear of getting hurt pretty quickly. You can get laced up with a full face, kneepads and a neckbrace.. you should be pretty good with all the major injuries with that. Once you do it you want more. It's that adrenaline rush, that airtime.
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by pfox90 View Post
    Sometimes you just gotta' man up and pull your ballsack out. Not saying people who don't do that stuff aren't good riders or are *****s, but sometimes you just have to go for it. I've ridden stuff over my head and hurt my self, specifically when I was just starting out, but that shed my fear of getting hurt pretty quickly. You can get laced up with a full face, kneepads and a neckbrace.. you should be pretty good with all the major injuries with that. Once you do it you want more. It's that adrenaline rush, that airtime.
    Haha it's certainly easier to say when you are young and invincible Lots has to do with practice and confidence. I don't know of anyone who goes from XC to DH and just give one a rip. Most riders I know only ride about 70%-80% of the ability pushing 100% do not leave room for error.

T.W.O
    Yeah, I shredded my shoulder bad this season I think. Whenever I lift heavier stuff it flares up but I didn't go to the doctor just popped it back in.
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

T.W.O.
    My last crash a few months ago was minor but enough to effect me at work, which a big no no. Plus it took me out of riding for 2-3 weeks, no fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pfox90 View Post
    Yeah, I shredded my shoulder bad this season I think. Whenever I lift heavier stuff it flares up but I didn't go to the doctor just popped it back in.
    was it worth it... screw that... too much like hard work getting better again... jeez i'm only 31 and sound like my grandad already

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Peer pressure from my riding buddies.
    "Man up you wuss and ride that jump! Don't be pussing out on this easy stuff!"

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    I'm 34 and broke my clavicle jumping my trials bike 7 weeks ago. Back to work tomorrow night.
    Funny thing is, when I was younger I could not have afforded to be off for 7 weeks. But with a good paying career and a job with outside injury pay, I'm all about it. Worst part was not riding for a month.
    '09 Specialized Rockhopper expert 29
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez