1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

New question here. Which Computer Would You Suggest...

First, just want to say thanks for all your help so far... Me and the lady are very happy with our Trek 6500 and 7100, respectively.

I could really use some of your help with accesories though... In particular I'm looking for a computer to put on my bike. I would assume that wireless would be best. Are there any problems with putting a wireless computer on a mountain bike? Should I stick to something wired? What are all you guru's preferences?

I think that I've narrowed it down to four. Wireless would be Trek Incite 8i Wireless or Cateye Micro Wireless. Wired would be Trek Incite 9i or Cateye Enduro 8. I guess the bottom line question comes down to wired v. wireless. What do you guys think? Pros v. Cons?

I tried looking in the product reviews but nothing comes up...

Thanks everyone!!!

Cookin' in AZ
    Computer wires can get caught on branches and things which makes them somewhat more vulnerable to damage.

I use the Cateye Wireless on my MTB and have not had any problems with it. It has survived numerous crashes without any ill effects.
    This space intentionally left blank

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

get a wireless with a cadence feature

You will need the cadence feature to learn how to spin correctly to ride at your best.
    If you're not falling, then you're not riding fast enough!
    Ibex Asta Pro SE & Giant XTC-2

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Thanks for the info... Separate question...

I was also thinking about purchasing one of these CO2 inflators... Specifically Innoviations Second Wind MTB... What do you guys think???

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    I've had a Cateye Enduro 8 for about 2 years now. Survived many crashes. The one time something DID go wrong during a fall was at the mounting unit, and not the wires anyways. Cateye replaced.

Great service, great computer, highly recomend!

Bike to the Bone...
    I would go the other way and go wired. Ok, both works fine, and my only actual experience had been with wired.

If you route the cable along with the front brake cable, you have no problem with branches or anything (unless you would still had the problem without a cable).

The sensor-thingie that you put on the fork is smaller and doesn't need any batteries.

Just my .02, I think both types works fine and you'll have no problems using them for mtb, I just prefer wired. I use a Cat Eye Enduro 8 and it's very nice.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by mdp0430
    Thanks for the info... Separate question...

I was also thinking about purchasing one of these CO2 inflators... Specifically Innoviations Second Wind MTB... What do you guys think???

Thanks again!
    Ok, about inflators.... I hate to always suggest going the other way.. makes me sound pessimistic or something

I would go with a hand pump that has some psi indicator, it's easier when you just need to pump some air, and go with a CO2 for the times you get a flat.

Work Hard, Play Harder
    I will give you this piece of advice. DO NOT get a trek computer. I bought the Incite wireless computer last month. It cost me 70 bucks, and it was either the incite 8i or 9i, I can't remember. It was wireless though. This thing was the biggest POS I have ever owned. I ended up returning it to my LBS. The guy I deal with there said that he has had more of them come back to him then anything. I ended up going with the cateye micro wireless and It's been great so far. I figured, I have a TREK bike, might as well get the computer too. I must admit it was great looking and I liked the temp gauge, even though it read a few degrees off, but I should have took others advice and avoided buying it.
    06 Rocky Mountain ETSX - Full XTR, Fox Shox, Crossmax XL Wheels

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have the Incite 9i and haven't had any trouble with it yet, though I've only used it for a couple of hundred miles. What problems did you have?
    '06 Trek Fuel EX6
    Technical Skills Meter: 0

Work Hard, Play Harder
    Quote Originally Posted by LO-TrEK
    I have the Incite 9i and haven't had any trouble with it yet, though I've only used it for a couple of hundred miles. What problems did you have?
    I was getting ready for a ride and I kept trying to reset the trip odometer. For some reason it just wouldn't reset. After about 10 mins of trying it finally reset. I thought at first maybe the battery was bad. I had used the computer on about 10 or so rides, so i was familiar with it's operation. I had about 195 miles on my total odometer also. The next day when I was ready to go riding, I tried to reset the computer again. This time it just wouldn't reset at all. I glanced at my odometer and noticed that I had some ridiculous number of miles on it. In the high thousands lol. I took it to the shop and the guy there was very familiar with those types of problems on the incite. He suggested the cateye micro wireless to me which was 20 or 30 dollars cheaper and refunded me the difference. I liked the looks of the incite alot better than my new computer and it seemed to me like it was gonna be great. It had a sturdy feel to it too. I have had cateye's in the past and they performed well, so I don't anticipate any probs with this one.
    06 Rocky Mountain ETSX - Full XTR, Fox Shox, Crossmax XL Wheels

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Computer

Hey...i just picked up the Cateye Enduro 8 as well. The guys at the lbs told me to go wired....they said wireless sounds good but they said they aren't as accurate as they should be.

The enduro 8 has a heavy duty cable and has all the functions i need. Setup i didn't find that easy, those instructions.....the english needs to be a little easier to decipher

Hope that helps. I was looking hard at wireless as well thinking....extra wires..something to catch and rip but after hearing the lbs guys, i thought.. convenient is only better if it works. J

Going for a ride......
    I've had a cateye mity 3 for quite a while with no problems. This time I decided to go with the cateye mity 8 (shop didn't have any enduros in stock), seems to have had more features than the cateye wireless and the fork mount thingy is less bulky. Only thing about this one compared to the last one I had is that the sensor magnet that goes on the spokes isn't so great - not easy to get it real tight so that it doesn't move around.
    If wired ones are routed properly (either around the brake - or remote lockout cables and down the inside of the fork leg) then you shouldn't have any problems.
    I just didn't like the fact that the sensor that goes on the fork was more bulky and just didn't feel like spending the extra $50 at the time.
    energetix