1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Component upgrade advice for my 05 Rocky 26er HT

I have been riding this for a long time, got it at the LBS built a relationship etc and been back many times with them pointing me at the newer bikes. The thing is I love my bike and its lasted me more than I could have imagined. Its still completely stock aside from the bar ends and computer. I mostly ride on single track with lots of roots/rocks climbing and descents, just the usual trail. I am looking to begin upgrading components and am wondering where to begin, what would the biggest upgrade impact be item wise. I was thinking I would perhaps look at the wheels but have been told these Alex rims are pretty nice already. Anyway I welcome and thank you for your experienced advice. Here is a pic of earlier today before I got caught in one of those notorious Georgia thunderstorms.

Frame & Fork
    Frame Construction TIG-welded
    Frame Tubing Material Easton 7005 Elite Taperwall
    Fork Brand & Model Marzocchi EXR Pro, 105mm travel
    Fork Material Aluminum, single crown
    Rear Shock Not applicable

Components
    Component Group Mountain Mix
    Brakeset Hayes Sole XC front/Hayes SOLE HD rear brakes, Hayes SOLE HD front/Hayes Sole XC rear levers
    Shift Levers Shimano Deore
    Front Derailleur Shimano Deore
    Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore XT
    Crankset RaceFace Ride XC
    Pedals Shimano PD-M520 SPD
    Bottom Bracket FSA
    BB Shell Width Unspecified
    Rear Cogs 9-speed
    Chain Shimano CN-HG53, 1/2 x 3/32"
    Seatpost Easton
    Saddle Velo
    Handlebar Easton
    Handlebar Extensions Not included
    Handlebar Stem Easton
    Headset 1 1/8" threadless

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Nice looking bike. All the components look nice, so you may want to just keep riding it the way it is. Don't know the weight of your wheels, but dropping weight there will make a big difference. Are you still happy with the fork?

I rode a ht for four years and thought I would never need a fs. After building a fs over last winter, the ht sees little use. You might appreciate a rear susp on the south loop, but maybe not - not everyone has the same preferences.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Tires are probably your biggest bang for buck upgrade. What are you running now. I don't see it specified in the component spec.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hahaha, sweet picture man

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Hi all;
    Thank you for the comments. The fork has been great even though its missing some paint. On the other hand this is all I have ever known so its tough to compare to others but I have only gotten the bike cleaned and tuned without changing anything out or any work on the fork so I think it has provided great value so far. I have been reading up on the 29ers lately and am starting to get the itch , might go try one.

Hubs Front: Shimano HB-M475 disc, Rear: Shimano FH-M475 disc
    Rims Front: Alex DP17, Rear: Alex DP-17, 32-hole
    Tires 26 x 2.10" IRC Serac XC
    Spoke Brand DT Swiss Champion stainless steel