1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Component Information

Howdy, I've been doing some research on a few Norco bikes and I'm currently looking through the components of the Torrent, Rampage, Manik and Sasquatch. It would be extremely helpful if someone can fill me in on the differences between a few components:

Axiom hub vs. Shimano Deore Disc 135/10mm hub

Titec El Norte handlebar vs. Syncros handlebar vs. Truvativ Hussefelt handlebar

Sun MTX rim vs. Sun singletrack rim vs. Sun ZX-25 rim

Truvativ hussefelt crankset vs. Truvative Ruktion crankset

Simano HG-30 freewheel vs. Shimano HG-50 freewheel

I understand that is a lot of things to be comparing, but any help you can give me would be awsome. I also have a few other questions:

1. What is a CNC bottom bracket, and

2. What is an FSA headset?

Thanks so much for your time.

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by beginnerbiker
    Howdy, I've been doing some research on a few Norco bikes and I'm currently looking through the components of the Torrent, Rampage, Manik and Sasquatch. It would be extremely helpful if someone can fill me in on the differences between a few components:
    I'll just highlight what I think are the higher quality components based on the research I've done. Keep in mind I don't have real world experience with all of these parts.

Titec El Norte handlebar vs. Syncros handlebar vs. Truvativ Hussefelt handlebar - It's a toss up really.

1. What is a CNC bottom bracket?
    I think CNC refers to how it was manufactured, iow "on a CNC machine."

2. What is an FSA headset?
    The brand is FSA, Full Speed Ahead.

Thanks so much for your time.
    No problem, I hope I helped. Maybe someone else will chime who has real world experience with one or more of these components.

Patrick

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by PCinSC
    I'll just highlight what I think are the higher quality components based on the research I've done. Keep in mind I don't have real world experience with all of these parts.

Titec El Norte handlebar vs. Syncros handlebar vs. Truvativ Hussefelt handlebar - It's a toss up really.

I see on a lot of them though you've highlighted the components which are on the less expensive bikes (further to the right). I imagine most of them are the same really but what would set them apart far enough to require their own name and price increase, the materials used?

I understand that most of those things don't make much of a difference, but what about the rims? Can anyone fill me in on the deal with those? Thanks a bunch.

long standing member
    I see on a lot of them though you've highlighted the components which are on the less expensive bikes (further to the right). I imagine most of them are the same really but what would set them apart far enough to require their own name and price increase, the materials used?

I understand that most of those things don't make much of a difference, but what about the rims? Can anyone fill me in on the deal with those? Thanks a bunch.
    Let me give you my reasoning.

I have the Shimano hubs that are a step below the Deores and I've been beating on mine for 9 months (and I weigh 255lbs) and I haven't had any problems. I don't know anything about Axiom hubs (plus there's no model # listed).

Any of those bars would probably be fine (that's why said it's a toss up ). I have Truvativ XR XC riser bars and they have held up. The Hussefelts are a stronger bar so they should hold up even better. If weight is an issue for you than look up the weights and compare.

The MTX and Singletracks are both very solid rims. The Singletrack is lighter. I don't know about the ZX-25 rim (that may be an OEM product - EDIT: I looked it up, it is an OEM product).

The Hussefelt is an aftermarket freeride/DH crank the Ruktion is an OEM crank. Look up the weights if you're interested.

For shimano products in general the higher numbers are the better components. Look them up on the Shimano website to see the differences in specs.

I hope that provides some clarity. I'll be honest, I don't think you're going to get a ton of responses simply because experienced riders who may have tried many of these parts don't really hang out on the beginner board. JMO.

Patrick

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by PCinSC
    Let me give you my reasoning.

I have the Shimano hubs that are a step below the Deores and I've been beating on mine for 9 months (and I weigh 255lbs) and I haven't had any problems. I don't know anything about Axiom hubs (plus there's no model # listed).

Any of those bars would probably be fine (that's why said it's a toss up ). I have Truvativ XR XC riser bars and they have held up. The Hussefelts are a stronger bar so they should hold up even better. If weight is an issue for you than look up the weights and compare.

The MTX and Singletracks are both very solid rims. The Singletrack is lighter. I don't know about the ZX-25 rim (that may be an OEM product - EDIT: I looked it up, it is an OEM product).

The Hussefelt is an aftermarket freeride/DH crank the Ruktion is an OEM crank. Look up the weights if you're interested.

For shimano products in general the higher numbers are the better components. Look them up on the Shimano website to see the differences in specs.

I hope that provides some clarity. I'll be honest, I don't think you're going to get a ton of responses simply because experienced riders who may have tried many of these parts don't really hang out on the beginner board. JMO.

Patrick
    Yeah well, I wasn't expecting a lot of responses, so thank you very much! your information is greatly appreciated. For some crazy reason, Norco decided just put down "Axiom" in their spec. sheet for hubs, don't know why, but that's what they did. Anyways, thanks for clearing some of it up for me.