1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Completed a Century Ride yesterday on my Trek 3900!

102 miles. Ride time = 8.18 min. Total time = 9:20 min. Avg Speed = 12.2mph. From my other post a few weeks back after my 75 mile ride, I was sure to take everyone's advice as I took a GU protein pack and hydrated with at least 1/2 a canister of fluid every hour on the hour. At the 50 mile mark yesterday, I ate two power bars for lunch. Nose was stuffy with allergies but didn't want to wait any longer to attempt the ride. The temperature was cool at 68 but very "breezy", felt like I was riding against the wind for 50 miles literally. Felt good at 50, tired at 60, but hit another good stride from 75-92 miles. I wasn't on a road bike either, just riding on my Trek 3900. Stoped to help another biker along the way, good karma.

Picture Unrelated
    Good on ya! I did a century once... that was enough times for me. And you did it on a MTB, and helped out another biker: that's pretty impressive.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Sweet! Excellent post. This should be in Passion too.........Great job! I've done centuries over the years on my off-dirt bike (no biggie) and my mtb. Good times..........Congrats!

I4NI
    Right on!
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

mtbr member
    Nicely done! And I must recognize your exceptional taste in music
    Negative rep, please.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Congratulations!

mtbr member
    Congrats. That is BA.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Congrats! That is awesome especially helping out another biker.