1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Complete novice here.....How do you repair a flat tire???

I've bought a couple of those cheap repair kits with an assortment of parts within the kit.

What the world does each piece do?

They appear to come with a tube of glue/adhesive, rubber patches, tire levers, and some metal ridged patches..........

Please shed some light on the process and what exactly the function of each is.......

Thanks.

I post too much.
    Remove wheel from bike, remove tire and old tube from rim using the tire levers. Check for any sand, dirt, grit, needles, glass, whatever may be stuck in the tire and caused the flat, clean it with warm soapy water to make sure nothing's left.

Place new tube in tire, put the valve stem where it belongs in its hole in the rim, then work the tire back onto the rim(I like using my hands more than a lever for this part). Inflate to desired pressure.

A more in depth guide can be found here, along with pics:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=100

mtbr member
    Thanks for the quick reply.

I was more curious on how to make a repair 10 miles out in the woods.........like what's the steps in making sure the tube will hold air once again.........

I've bookmarked the link you sent.

Thanks.

I post too much.
    The steps are pretty much the same, except your bike is likely to be upside down rather than on a bike stand.

If you have a patch kit, simply replace the step of removing the old tube and putting in a new one, and change them to:

Find the hole, wherever it is. Once you have, use the sandpaper in the kit to roughen up the tube around the hole to allow better adhesion of the patch. Follow the patch kit's instructions closely, some come with adhesive and some come with the glue seperate from the patch.

College Boy
    I would advice getting some of the glueless patches They at a heck of a lot easier to put on than the ones that require glue.

I have had really good luck with Slime glueless patch kit. All I do to patch teh tube is rough up the tube a little and then just stick the patch right on. Make sure it is down nice and good and put it back in the tire and I am good to go.