1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

A complete noob with questions.

Now I'm 13 and want to get into dirt jumping and urban riding. I've been looking at bikes but don't know what i'm looking for on a bike. Whats geometry and how would i want it in a bike? What parts am i looking for? Is single speed or geared better? Disc brakes or rim brakes?

S&G CREW
    Feb 2008
    Well if u want to get into dirt jumping i would try to to a single speed and something with disc breaks.Might want to check out something like a gary fisher mullet good 4 dirt jumping but can still ride other stuff too plus it comes geared or a single speed.

S&G CREW
    Feb 2008
    You may also want to post in the dj forum also.

I post too much.
    Geometry refers to the shape and size as well as angles of the tubes in your bike's frame, this is what determines how a bike rides.

For dirt jumping you are looking for a beefy frame with a steep head angle(69+) steep seat angle(around 70) high-ish BB height (12 inches and up) with the shortest chainstays possible (16'' and under) with a top tube length that fits you.

How tall are you, how much do you weigh and what's your budget?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Well i'm 13, about 5 ft, and about 100 pounds. I'm saving up to about 1000 dollars and I'm a complete noob. So far the giant stp and specialized p.1 have been very appealing to me.