mtbr member
    Oct 2017

Complete noob buying first bike, help me decide between the two deals.

First of all, hello to all. Just to make clear, I am a complete noob in this field. I have no clue what is what, nor what is good, or worth my money.
    I have been driving dirt bikes (motorcycles) for almost twenty years, so I'm not a complete beginner in off road riding, but I'm looking to get into mtb now.

I found two deals so far that I kinda like.

First one: (copied from the post)
    2002 Giant AC2 full suspension MTB, 3x9 speed, Race Face cranks, Sram X0 rear der, Sram X9 shifters, Juicy seven hydraulic disc brakes, 26" Ryno lite rims, XT hubs, Rock Shox Psylo XC fork, a strong durable fun bike, will fit a 6' rider.
    Guys asks 500$ for it.

Second one is one that my friend is selling.
    2012 Scott Spark Comp 29. Shimano Deore XT groups 2x9. Issi clipless.
    He was saying in the ballpark of 800$, posibly lower. We haven't really talked further about it.

Both bikes look pretty good, they are in good condition.
    I know there is no clear answer which one is better, but any advice you can give me, go ahead, it's gonna be much appreciated, Mostly what's a better deal, and what do you think each bike is worth?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Same here im a noob and came from dirt bikes. In my opinion I would go for the scott. Reasons, 29er, 26ers are older and uncommon for newer bikes, 2x9, less gears is better from what I have read to a point, way newer, most likely lighter, scott is better than giant. I'm a noob myself so I may be wrong on some things.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    It comes down to how you want to ride your bike. You may not need a full suspension bike right off the bat. You can learn a few things about mountain biking by starting out on a hardtail. 29ers are great because they can run over just about anything. If you can negotiate a good deal on the Scott, I would go for that. If he/she has clipless, just get yourself a set of flat pedals like the Race Face Chesters and start riding with those.

Also, fewer gears don't always mean better. You have to decide whether you will utilize all the chainring gears.
    2016 Specialized Stumpjumper 650b Elite

noob bikepacker
    ^^^^^ what he said!!

and to add: the 2002 bike will be harder to upkeep, but not impossible. It's geometry also might not be quite what you would need...or quite as comfy as the newer bike.

Definitely figure out how and where you will ride mostly. Full suspension is not always the best answer. Do some research as well. it took me 2 years to decide on a new bike, but I am glad that I did as much reading/research as I did. I got 3 bikes in one for what I wanted to do with my Surly Krampus.
    "It's about having pointless fun in the woods...." - Walt
    '15 Surly Krampus
    '87 Mongoose Californian Pro

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    ^^^^^ what he said!!

and to add: the 2002 bike will be harder to upkeep, but not impossible. It's geometry also might not be quite what you would need...or quite as comfy as the newer bike.

Definitely figure out how and where you will ride mostly. Full suspension is not always the best answer. Do some research as well. it took me 2 years to decide on a new bike, but I am glad that I did as much reading/research as I did. I got 3 bikes in one for what I wanted to do with my Surly Krampus.
    Thanks everybody for the replies, but I think the answer presented itself. That friend of mine said he wants only 500$ from me for the Scott. So for that price, I figured itís worth giving it a shot. If I donít like it, a can always get my money back.
    And yes, first thing I asked is does he have stock pedals (I think I would break my leg with clipless), and he has them.

noob bikepacker
    yeah. Definitely go flat. I could not imagine being clipped into my bike. That would scare me for sure. I guess cause I become "disconnected" from my bike so much that I know I would have twice the injuries...

don't forget to post pix when you get the bike and/or are riding!
    "It's about having pointless fun in the woods...." - Walt
    '15 Surly Krampus
    '87 Mongoose Californian Pro

mtbr member
    Take a look at the chain wear (with a chain gauge), if the owner did not take care of it you could end up with headaches and expense later. A good bike with a clapped out drive train is not a good deal. That's a check a noob can do easily.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    So, one thing to be aware of with looking at used bikes is that you can easily find many things that may significantly increase the price. You can check rims / rims / suspension in a similar fashion to dirt bikes. Pick up one end and see if there is any lateral play in the suspension pivots / hubs. Check wheels for being out of true and see if there are any spokes greatly out of tension (pluck 'em and listen). Are there any slop in the bushings that hold the shock?

The drivetrain is similar to a dirt bike as you would expect. Cassettes get shark toothed and will wear / skip a chain under power. Chainrings up front might be ~30-40+ each and a decent cassette is usually 75+.

Hydraulic brakes are also very similar. Just smaller master cylinders. Premium brakes should be consistent and firm feeling, as well as able to be used with 1 finger at the end of the lever.

If you want to compare how they ride to a newer bike (FS or hardtail), you can demo those at many bike shops. Perhaps $50 / day to do something like that. If its set up well that can help you understand how something should "feel".
    His: 2017 Commencal Meta AM V4.2 Ride. With Zee brakes
    Hers: 2018 Commencal Meta TR V4.2. Zee, too!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyko View Post
    And yes, first thing I asked is does he have stock pedals (I think I would break my leg with clipless), and he has them.
    Clipless takes a bit of practice and some people pick it up faster than others. I would use the stock pedals (assuming they are the thick ones) temporarily and grab yourself a set of Race Face Chesters. They are super slim and lighter than the plastic pedals. Best of all, they are cheap! You can score a set for $40-50 in most bike shops and online.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    Clipless takes a bit of practice and some people pick it up faster than others. I would use the stock pedals (assuming they are the thick ones) temporarily and grab yourself a set of Race Face Chesters. They are super slim and lighter than the plastic pedals. Best of all, they are cheap! You can score a set for $40-50 in most bike shops and online.
    Will do! Thanks for suggestions.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Nate View Post
    So, one thing to be aware of with looking at used bikes is that you can easily find many things that may significantly increase the price. You can check rims / rims / suspension in a similar fashion to dirt bikes. Pick up one end and see if there is any lateral play in the suspension pivots / hubs. Check wheels for being out of true and see if there are any spokes greatly out of tension (pluck 'em and listen). Are there any slop in the bushings that hold the shock?

The drivetrain is similar to a dirt bike as you would expect. Cassettes get shark toothed and will wear / skip a chain under power. Chainrings up front might be ~30-40+ each and a decent cassette is usually 75+.

Hydraulic brakes are also very similar. Just smaller master cylinders. Premium brakes should be consistent and firm feeling, as well as able to be used with 1 finger at the end of the lever.

If you want to compare how they ride to a newer bike (FS or hardtail), you can demo those at many bike shops. Perhaps $50 / day to do something like that. If its set up well that can help you understand how something should "feel".
    Will do man. I figured that much about checking the bike. But as said. Itís a really good friend of mine. Iíll take the bike couple times to the track to test it and see if itís something that suites me before I commit to buying. I like the suggestion for the rentals. Didnít think of that. Thanks. That track has rentals (and the track was opened like a month ago, so all bike rentals are brand new)

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    This is a real eye opener for a noon. Glad I joined. Lots of good tips. Another ? How do you compare dram and shimano? I'm looking still and appreciate any advice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by fred13156 View Post
    This is a real eye opener for a noon. Glad I joined. Lots of good tips. Another ? How do you compare dram and shimano? I'm looking still and appreciate any advice.
    Do you mean sram? Noon, or noob? From what I have read shimano is usually better than sram.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017

Cool-blue Rhythm Noob at it all

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb_Cook View Post
    Do you mean sram? Noon, or noob? From what I have read shimano is usually better than sram.
    I am referring to the sram vs. the shimano. I am looking at a motobecane 529 HT. Any input on this is greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    I am referring to the sram vs. the shimano. I am looking at a motobecane 529 HT. Any input on this is greatly appreciated.
    How do you plan on riding this bike? Are you going to do full trail riding (uphill, downhill, everything else in between, obstacles, features, etc) or do you plan on gravel pounding, concrete city trails, flat access dirt trails, etc....

When I say full trail riding, this includes bike parks or mountain trails designated for bikes.

mtbr member
    I started on the same bike but 26''. They work, but that's where Battery's question comes into play. I did beginner trails on it, and it just about held up but even after upgrading to an XC30 (Different bike) was a huge improvement from the Suntour fork.

I think most go through a couple of bikes, before finding what works, but if you want to save in the long run, I would wait a bit save some more to get something a bit better.

Narrow bars, poor fork, older geometry, crap brakes (Tektro) the tires are a must upgrade, as are pedals. Again, it will work but it will depend on what you want out of it.
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2014 All City Macho Man Disc
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    And if your looking for a good deal look on ebay. I got a $4200 bike for $1800 new.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Thanks for all the input. I'm a senior citizen who will be on bike paths and street and possibly some trail riding. Won't be thrashing like you younger guys. Used to ride literally years ago and am looking for a fun passti me in retirement. Don't want to break the bank and don't know anything about the sport anymore. Again thanks for all the input. P.S. last bike was 1986 Schwinn.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the input. I'm a senior citizen who will be on bike paths and street and possibly some trail riding. Won't be thrashing like you younger guys. Used to ride literally years ago and am looking for a fun passti me in retirement. Don't want to break the bank and don't know anything about the sport anymore. Again thanks for all the input. P.S. last bike was 1986 Schwinn.
    Ha! No spring chicken here lol! That Moto will do the trick for what you are describing, make sure its the right size and enjoy pedaling.
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Thanks for the response. I am looking forward to getting back into it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Ha! No spring chicken here lol! That Moto will do the trick for what you are describing, make sure its the right size and enjoy pedaling.
    Name:  Herbert_-_Family_Guy.png
Views: 170
Size:  104.5 KB

mtbr member
    Name:  Herbert_-_Family_Guy.png
Views: 170
Size:  104.5 KB
    LOL! Did you have to pick the Pedophile? I see you are a family guy fan.
    Last edited by jcd46; 10-12-2017 at 09:31 AM. Reason: old man
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    LOL! Did you have to pick the Pedophile? I see you are a family guy fan.
    Yes I am lol!