Thread: Complete noob

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Complete noob

Hi their im a complete noob when it comes to mtb. I have done alot of road cycling and a bit of off road but i want to do downhill,i have had a look at reviews of bikes. i have around a £2500 ($4150 as im in the uk) budget and i the yt industries tues 2.0 as it has great reviews, does anyone recommend other bikes that have a good geometry,not too heavy and a suspension that soaks up all the bumps. i have quite a few questions aswell.im 6ft 1 and 200 pounds with fairly long legs what size bike should i go for?
    1. what full face helmet for under $260 would you recommend that has good protection?
    2. what is the wooden cladding used on downhill trails?
    3. what dry chain lube would people recommend?
    thanks Josh

mtbr member
    A downhill specific bike is really going to limit you to just downhill riding. Is that what you're really looking for? If so, then that YT Tues 2.0 looks like a pretty nice bike. I've never ridden a BOS fork, but have read some really good reviews on them. When you get into that kind of money, chances are, any bike you buy will be a very good one so don't focus on just one, but really shop the market unless thats the bike you REALLY want. In that price range are bikes like the Mondraker Summun and Giant Glory 1 (which got excellent reviews).

In terms of size, I'm 6'1 and 185lbs with a 32.5" inseam and ride a 19" bike. If you have long legs, then you'd probably be more in the 20-20.5" range. Best thing to do is to head to your local bike shop and get fitted or just sit on a few to see which best fits you.

If you want to do downhill along with some other types of riding, then you may want to look into something more of a 140-160mm travel enduro bike, which many people use as DH bikes these days. Something like the Yeti SB66, which Jared Graves piloted to a podium position in a DH comp.

Full face helmet. I rarely head to my local trail where there are big jumps so I have a regular helmet, but when I do, I use a Troy Lee D2 Ace which I see sells for $181 at Jensonusa.com now (I paid more for it last year). But again, its something you may have to try on. Not all heads are the same and you really have to find the one that fit you and that you'll be comfortable wearing for hours.

For the lube, I use the Finish Line Teflon-Plus dry chain lube. Works great for me and its relatively cheap.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    check out the DH forum here.
    Downhill - Freeride

I wouldn't get a DH bike unless I was gonna spend the majority of my timing lift or shutttle riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    well i already have a hardtail it just dont soak the bumps up, as for lift im in the uk so theirs no lifts within 100 miles of me and only 2 all together thanks josh