1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Compatible Shimano Rear Derailleur

Hello,
    I have an early 80's Ross MTB Hightech Mt Whitney 6 speed and need to replace my rear derailleur (which seemed to have changed a lot since I did my last repairs).
    My original derailleur was a Shimano Deore XT Rear Derailleur with
    Deore XT Unishift Control Thumb Shifters. The newer derailleurs seem to need ne shiftes (I think). Does anyone know what Shimano rear derailleur will be compatible with my current shifters? I have had no luck in finding out.
    Thanks so much

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    shimano tourney TX55 might work with those shifters. It can also be used with friction shifting.
    2010 D440 Redline Rigid 1x9
    2011 Trek Remedy 8 1x10
    2012 Jamis Dragon 2x10
    2013 Diamondback Sortie 3 1x10

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    MIght try contacting Shimano tech support. Worse comes to worse, some new shifters probably wont break the bank.

mtbr member
    I believe that your Unishift shift levers are friction only, so I would think nearly everything 9 speed and less out there will work, with the possible exception of a shadow derailleur as I think it has a different cable routing.

I run 7 speed cassettes/freewheels/shifters with 9 speed derailleurs all the time. I just finished putting together a comfort cruiser for my brother with a cheap Sunrace 7 speed shifter to a Alivio 9 speed derailleur and a SRAM cassette.

On own my bikes, I look for really nice/nos XT/XTR derailleurs out of the late 90's/early 2000's. Just run a 7/8 speed chain, I don't think there will be a chain issue as back in the 80's swapping out a 6 speed freewheel for 7 speed with friction shifters only required adjusting the stops and cable length.

John
    1995 Trek 970 - 80mm Atom Race
    1992 Serotta T-Max - 70mm Z3 Light
    1993 GT All Terra - 46mm Mag 21

mtbr member
    Here is a link to Sheldon Brown's wealth of technical knowledge...

Articles by Sheldon Brown and Others

and...

6-speed, 7-speed, 8-speed, 9-speed, 10-speed, 11-speed?

John
    1995 Trek 970 - 80mm Atom Race
    1992 Serotta T-Max - 70mm Z3 Light
    1993 GT All Terra - 46mm Mag 21

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Shimano also makes a TX-75 that should fit. If your derailleur mounts to a hanger, make sure to get the 'direct mount' and not the one that mounts to an axle.

Shimano Tourney TX75 6 7 Speed Rear Derailleur Direct Attach | eBay

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Any Shimano MTB 9 speed or less rear derailleur will work. Pick your price point.