1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Comp? Got to ask!

Hope I don’t sound to uninformed, but since I’ve been in the market for a new bike I keep on seeing the word “Comp” used in a variety of bikes and components, is this an abbreviation, acronym, short for ?
    Comp seems to cover a wide range of applications and price ranges in both road and mountain bikes.
    examples:
    Manitou Splice Comp fork
    Topeak Comp 140 Computer
    Iron Horse Azure Comp Mountain Bike
    Ritchey Comp MTB Seatpost
    Hutchinson Fusion Comp Road tire
    PLANET BIKE OZONE COMP MTB PUMP
    Thanks
    Last edited by rg32; 05-16-2006 at 08:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Short for Competition. Mostly a marketing buzz word

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    That was my first inclination but it didnít make total sense
    Used In everything from Competition support underwear to Competition higher end full suspension bikes to Competition budget forks to Competition pumps.

Thanks Iíll sleep better tonight

Ron

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by dcairns
    Short for Competition. Mostly a marketing buzz word
    True

In the early days of Mtb. Comp was a higher level of bike but not the top of the line. Team was top of the line and below that comp and below that sport. Sport was entry level. Specialized popularized this ranking system. I stil think they use it but comp has been replaced with expert or something like that.