1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Columbia Trailhead any thoughts?

Hello...I just picked up a new Columbia Trailhead for $40 from someone who bought it and never used it... it feels good for me, I'm using it to commute to work and some off road trails

Specs: Hi-Tensile steel frame, RST 181 fork with 80mm of travel, 21 speed w/ Shimano shifters and derailleurs.... its also very lightweight

I know its made by Iron Horse and are sold for about $300...any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Pretty darn good deal for $40,the parts are a bit outdated(unless they happen to be new 7-speed parts) and not high end,but the frame looks nice and it should do for commuting and some trail riding.Anyways,I would have paid $40 for it,I like the frame.

mtbr member
    ride the heck out of it! and have fun!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by InvictaS1
    ride the heck out of it! and have fun!

I agree,and I think the frame is good enough to upgrade parts as they break or wear out.

I bought my son a Trek 820 and I think yours might be better,I paid $280 for it so I think you did pretty well.

Baton Rouge, LA
    Quote Originally Posted by Masta Flash
    Hello...I just picked up a new Columbia Trailhead for $40 from someone who bought it and never used it... it feels good for me, I'm using it to commute to work and some off road trails

Specs: Hi-Tensile steel frame, RST 181 fork with 80mm of travel, 21 speed w/ Shimano shifters and derailleurs.... its also very lightweight

I know its made by Iron Horse and are sold for about $300...any thoughts?
    Ride it like you stole it, cause you did

It is what it is....nothing fancy, but it should provide you some fun times. And the best part is, if you totally trash it, you're only out $40.

MTBR Member
    Looks like you got a good deal...solid steel frame and in working order for 40 bucks. Sweet corvette by the way...personally I would be driving that baby to work.

mtbr member
    You can't go wrong for 40 bucks!
    "The quality of the box matters little. Success depends upon the person who sits in it."
    The Red Baron
    I need a better box

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfisherman
    Looks like you got a good deal...solid steel frame and in working order for 40 bucks. Sweet corvette by the way...personally I would be driving that baby to work.

LOL...the Corvette was upgraded to 24 volts and now that things hauls

I want to upgrade the components to somthing much better, the shifters are also weak.. the cranks are Sun Tour

What should I get? are all cranks the same?

Ride the dream

I want to upgrade the components to somthing much better, the shifters are also weak.. the cranks are Sun Tour

If you wanna upgrade cranks for cheap - go deore hollowtech.

Good technology for not alot of money.

squish is good

I don't know if I would upgrade, might be a better idea to ride it for a season and then see how you feel about it then. You might realize that there are certain things you want that a $40 bike won't get you. Not to mention the cost of upgrading vs. buying a complete bike. Great deal though, for the money it's a great buy!
    Bike good, work bad.

bi-winning
    You got a great deal. Ride it 'till the wheels fall off. Don't spend much money upgrading. Start saving for your next bike, because if you really get into mountain biking, your next one is going to cost you a lot more than $40.

Don't upgrade your cranks if there is nothing wrong with them. Maybe the bike could use a tune-up?
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club