1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    Great... another hobby...
    Jun 2008

From cocky to humble in 60 minutes flat.

I just recieved my Shimano M770 clipless pedals yesterday. Slapped'em on and tried them out in my driveway... so far so good. I kept in mind everyones warnings about unclipping in time so I made sure to practice and it was pretty simple so naturally my head swelled. (This is my first experience with clipless.) I suited up and took my bike to a local track that passes a moderately sizd dam on the Great Miami River and stopped to take a look, all the while telling myself that there is nothing to these clipless pedals. Once I had enough of the dam I turned the bike around clipped in with the right, pushed off to a real slow start, pulled the wheel funny and forgot I was clipped in and over I went much to the delight of a bunch of fishermen and huffy riders. Now the only thing swelling is my knee!

All in all I love the clipless pedal system its about a 15% increase in power on the straight and flat and nearly 25% increase in power on the uphill (non scientific data). I recommend them to all.

mtbr member
    In a few weeks more, you will forget being clipped in but will not get stuck in the pedal. You will learn to simply move your foot sideways all the time.

In a few weeks more, you will forget being clipped in but will not get stuck in the pedal. You will learn to simply move your foot sideways all the time.
    i still do slow motion fall overs while clipped in. not forgetfully, just going slow...get stuck on an obstacle...can't get out in time. *slam*
    and i've had them for 12+ years. :|

weirdo
    That`s OK- everybody probably liked the show! Yeah, the same general thing for me, different details. I don`t know if everybody continues to have clipless moments, but I do from time to time. The sorta good thing is that, for me, it`s never been particularly damaging. The really good thing is that once in a while it`s actually amuzing even for the participant- slomo fall over, roll onto my side, flop the other way STILL clipped in and unable to stop laughing. Whoohoo!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    some times they may even save you.

was riding with a buddy not to long ago. went down on the trail, and fell to the left which was a steap hill. bike caught a tree and his one foot was stuck in the pedal still. saved him from rolling down the hill on his own. and no, we where not moving that fast at the time. so it was straight over to the side he went.
    Brian <---- that would be me.

SHIFT_life

Great... another hobby...
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    That`s OK- everybody probably liked the show! Yeah, the same general thing for me, different details. I don`t know if everybody continues to have clipless moments, but I do from time to time. The sorta good thing is that, for me, it`s never been particularly damaging. The really good thing is that once in a while it`s actually amuzing even for the participant- slomo fall over, roll onto my side, flop the other way STILL clipped in and unable to stop laughing. Whoohoo!
    Perhaps I went to the single track a little early on the clipless (yesterday). I had seven, count them 7!, laugh out loud slow motion roll overs at the more difficult obstacles. It was hilarious.
    Ride to the base... Climb to the top... Life is peachy!
    Titus FTM
    Felt Q-620

Newbie in japan
    Feb 2008
    its really cool when you are cliped in, then you hit a root at a good speed hidden under stuff, and flip over hte bars, then the bike follows, becomes uncliped on the upside, and flies about 10 feet away.

that was cool

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fyrfytr310
    Perhaps I went to the single track a little early on the clipless (yesterday). I had seven, count them 7!, laugh out loud slow motion roll overs at the more difficult obstacles. It was hilarious.
    I was only 5 minutes into my ride before I had my first clipless incident.
    Two days of practicing getting in and out...piece of cake....but it didn't
    prepare me for forgetting I had them on.
    I slowed to a crawl for a indecisive turn...decided to go left, went to put my
    left leg down and it was stuck to the pedal. Huh-What? Oh Chit...I'm clipped in !!!
    A very slow and hard fall to the ground....Boom.
    Funny but some what painful.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    After being clipped in for a while, it's tough riding a bike w/o them. Your feet keep flying off the pedals!!

MTB Addict
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by balling
    its really cool when you are cliped in, then you hit a root at a good speed hidden under stuff, and flip over hte bars, then the bike follows, becomes uncliped on the upside, and flies about 10 feet away.

that was cool

Looks like you've truly mastered clipless. That comes when falling is no longer abnormal

Newbie in japan
    Feb 2008
    nah, falling is completely normal for me