1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: closeout sale

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

closeout sale

I started thinking to buy a bike this year and saw 2011 Trek bikes were sold at 35-40% off in this May.

It seems some of 2013 models are on Trek website. I was wondering how the prices will change. I mean if I want 30% off, do I have to wait until next year or will they change the price suddenly after all models become available, maybe around September?

If anyone knows historical data, please let me know.

It seems some of local bike shops are selling 2012 models at 10-12% off already. I saw one shop selling at 20% off in June. Is it like first warehouse(wholesaler?) reduces the price to retailers and each retailer decides their selling price? Or more like a wholesaler cosigning bikes to retailers so retailers can keep profit margin for bikes in store?

Picture Unrelated
    Every shop is different; if they get a different clientele than average, if they get a better/worse sales year than average, or if they have more or less stock on hand than average is usually what they will base their sales on. Historically, the shops around here start marking down their prices on and after labor day. Of course, our weather stays pretty warm through all of September, so your local shops will vary.

What you truly need to be concerned with is what size you are and if you can expect any of the bikes in your price range to be left to go on sale at all. Very small frames and very large frames are the most likely to go on sale while medium and large frames rarely stick around long enough to go on deep discounts (unless they are weird bikes or incredibly expensive). So the question becomes whether or not you are willing to miss out on riding this summer and fall to wait for a sale where you might not find a bike you like/can afford.

I would start a dialogue with your local bike shop(s) and ask them about sales. They might have some room to work with you right now or they might not, but they will probably also tell you about their likelihood of having bikes left to even go on sale this year.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?