1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    MTB_Okie

Clipping in and out?

I'm just starting to use my Shimano M520 SPD clipless pedals, and I'm having a hard time figuring out the best way to clip out when I want to. I know it's something that's going to take some practice, but I didn't know if there was a certain way to move my foot that made things any easier to get out when I need to. Is it best to turn my foot to get out, or try to just pop the front out, and then the back? Just trying to figure these things out!
    I like long rides. Especially when they're taken by people who annoy me...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    So Clipping In jam the front in and step down...

To get out twist the heel out and down....

Note when people get "stuck in the pedal" they are usually pulling up to get the foot out...

Wear gloves and go practice on a nice soft lawn about ten times...

Remember heel out and down.

I havn't thought about clicking out for oh three years now.

mtbr member
    you need to swing your heel outwards.

inwards works as well, but outwards makes more sense.

What could go wrong ...
    try and pivot your heel to the outside and just practice against a wall till you get the feel of it
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

T.W.O.
    It's ok to unclip both feet in the beginning if you are not sure. First foot you unclip usually the dominant one. Do it early when the bike roll to stop, if it stop and you are still clip in when you haven't figure out which foot to take out, you'll panic and could be in a world of hurt.

When I started I follow experienced riders, most clip out when the bike stop. I did the same not a good idea. After falling off the bike a few times I unclip both feet 10-20sec before I roll to stop then in no time I don't think about it any more. Once you build up muscle memory it becomes second nature. Practice on the soft grass is always a good insurance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    You may consider using the multirelease cleats. I've used them and really like the added confidence. If you set the tension right, you won't have a problem with coming out unintentionally.

You'll find riders in favor and those that disagree. To each his own.

MTB_Okie
    I haven't heard of those. Do you have a link to some?
    I like long rides. Especially when they're taken by people who annoy me...

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cdattaway
    I haven't heard of those. Do you have a link to some?

www.rei.com/product/738015

May 2009
    I use old road cleats on my mountain shoes as they release quicker. That is just me though. I have been doing this for years now.
    MUD

My weiner is 10.5".....Oh wait...I'm holding this ruler backward.