1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Clipless Pedal Upgrade.

I'm thinking about making the jump to clipless pedals...Ive already got a line on the shoes I want...but theres alot of pedals to choose from...price is somewhat important..I want to try and keep it under $100..what pedals would you recommend?.....thanks.
    We Can't Stop Here...This Is Bat Country.
    Out Of Step.

T.W.O.
    Shimano SPD M520 is a good start. I like SPD especially for riders who want to transition to clipless. Positive click both in and out as well as decent weight and function, reasonable price is not a bad thing either.

mtbr member

Re: Clipless Pedal Upgrade.

I just installed the XT PD-M785 Trail SPD Pedals. A friend suggested them because they are adjustable, you can clip in on both sides, and they are big enough so that you can still pedal and get going, then clip in if you have to. I picked up a pair of SH-M088 shoes, and installed the SH56 multi directional cleats.

I just got all of this stuff in this week, so Sunday will be my first trail ride clipless. I set the tension on the pedals to the lowest setting so it's easy to escape. I've been told this is a good beginner setup. I'm just tired of fighting to stay on the pedals.

I'm still a bit nervous...
    “You see us? We’re the people kicking your a*s. Fear us, because we will kill you, motherfu*ker,”*

-Chris Kyle

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'll be the contrarian and say "anything but SPD."

They're comparitvely hard to clip in to and lousy in mud/dirt/snow/ice/anything but pristine conditions.

I've put serious time on SPD, Ritchey SPD-compatibles, Looks, Crank Brothers, Times, and something else I'm forgetting.

I use Eggbeaters now for the weight savings, but if you're going for ease of use, price, reliability, and the ability to pedal a bit w/o clipping in, Time Atac "Alium" level pedal is the best I've ever seen for the money. If you need more platform, look at the Atac MX4.

Case in point: I have a set of Time Atac Aliums from...geez...2003?...that are still going strong. Thousands and thousands of miles. All I've ever done is clean and grease them every year or three. As long as you're not looking for the lightest thing on earth, I can't say enough good things about them: shed mud, clip in/out easily, good on both of my post-surgery knees, never fail, affordable...

$79 at Jenson: Time Atac Alium Pedals > Components > Pedals, Cleats, Toe Clips, Straps > Pedals | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Vincit qui patitur
    I like my Speedplay Frogs.
    I too have knee issues and no problems using Speedplays.
    If you're an REI member you can reurn them for a full refund if you're not happy.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

TXTony
    I like Shimano Xt pedals..but I know a few dudes that use the Time Atac system and swear by it..never made the switch because I have been using the SPD system for years

T.W.O.
    We all have our preference, but I still think that SPD is the best system for the transition. You can go with anything you want after that. I've used them all well almost, including flats. Currently, I'm back and forth with the XTR SPD and Flats and 5.10. Time and Crank bros are good but not really for noobs. I spent over a couple hundreds each of the carbon Time, ti Bebob, and Crank bros none are as user friendly over all as SPD for noobs.

Forget the platform clipless type they are the worst of both world. I owned one of the best and most popular platform clipless the M647 and they are not all that. Twice worse with the Crank brother Acid.

TXTony
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    We all have our preference, but I still think that SPD is the best system for the transition. You can go with anything you want after that. I've used them all well almost, including flats. Currently, I'm back and forth with the XTR SPD and Flats and 5.10. Time and Crank bros are good but not really for noobs. I spent over a couple hundreds each of the carbon Time, ti Bebob, and Crank bros none are as user friendly over all as SPD for noobs.

Forget the platform clipless type they are the worst of both world.
    Amen! Agree

Fat-tired Roadie
    Time ATACs. Durable, robust performance in nasty conditions, and in your price range. They were my first clipless pedals, but I'd previously survived clips and straps, which I continue to use on utility bikes.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Another time guy here. Started on times years ago without any issues and I'm still using the same pedals.

One of the guys I ride with went with SPDs and fell way more than my friend and I did starting on Times but that could have just been him. Some of the Time pedals now have adjustable tension too which is the big reason everybody says to go with SPDs.

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by owtdorz View Post
    I like my Speedplay....
    That's the one I couldn't remember, thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    You can find M520's online for $25-30. They have adjustable release tension and are double sided. I'm pretty new to clipless, but these have been great. I don't see myself going back to platforms anytime soon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Have had both Time Alum and Shimano 520. The Time do not have adjustable cleat tension and it takes a very deliberate foot motion to unclip. They hold you tight. The Time pedal is a good pedal but I kept falling because it was hard to unclip in an emergency. With Shimano you can run the multi-cleat (I think they call it the 56) which unclips very easily. I run the Shimano now.

Just Ride
    Been riding shimano m540 for over a year now with no issues. Well other than falling over from not unclipping in time. I still do this occasionally. But at this point it's my own stupidity.

Wonder if I should pick up a pair of CBs? It's about 98% muscle memory now to unclip. But I'm to the point it's time to shave weight!
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shellshocked View Post
    The Time pedal is a good pedal but I kept falling because it was hard to unclip in an emergency.
    Not trying to debate, just wanted to post a side anecdote:

I've been riding clipless for a decade, eight years on Times, and I just had my first ever fall because I couldn't clip out. (For the record, it was on Eggbeaters.)

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Your going to fall over no matter what kind of clipless you go with. I had a brain fart when I got stopped on some slick logs this weekend and fell over for the first time in awhile on my times. It happens.

and time does offer adjustable tension on some of the pedals. With time depending one which cleat you put on which foot you can change how much you have to twist to unclip too.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by canker View Post
    Your going to fall over no matter what kind of clipless you go with. I had a brain fart when I got stopped on some slick logs this weekend and fell over for the first time in awhile on my times. It happens.

and time does offer adjustable tension on some of the pedals. With time depending one which cleat you put on which foot you can change how much you have to twist to unclip too.
    ^^^this, I remember one time in a group ride my buddy did a cool little dismount without thinking or any practice I just copied him and it was not pretty

As for tension I'm a big fan or high tension, there's no guessing many noobs fell because they set theirs too soft and unclipping accidentally.

mtbr member

Re: Clipless Pedal Upgrade.

Crank Bros. Don't remember the model but have small composit platform.:-)

Sent from my RobCo Pip-Boy 2000
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

I eat cats
    I just made the switch last month and went with the SPD M530's. So far they are great for the price (got them on sale at REI for $49 and you can usually find deals online). I have had no issues getting in or out and have had zero falls. I started with the single release cleats (SM-SH51) that came with them but just put on a set of multi release cleats (SM-SH56) to give those a shot. Kinda thinking I should just stick with the single release cleats since I haven't had any issues but something tells me I will want the multi release when I find myself in a bind. The multi's do feel too easy to get out of though on my street test ride after putting them on, even when I tighten the tension on the pedals.