Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Clipless with pedal platform your thoughts?

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  eatdrinkride 
#1 ·
I own a set of VP-101. They do OK I guess, I do like being able to adjust the tension, considering I am new to clipless pedals.

I was wondering how come you don't see more pedal makers making something like Shimano 324 SPDs?

It seems like a good combination of clipless and platform pedal built into one....Anyone know anything about these?

Second, if I was going to upgrade from my VP-101s, what would people suggest..I do weekend riding that is easy..and easy trails..nothing technical or even intermediate yet...I know everyone has their own preference on pedals, that's fine..I'd just like to hear from people.

Btw...why do so many people like the Cranks' Eggbeaters if there there's no tension adjustment? I have never used or seen them in person..Wondering what is so great about them...Just curious..thanks.

#2 ·
Dual functions and Eggbeaters.

I am a long time fan of dual function pedals, having used VP's for the last 10 years. I love 'em in the rough stuff and for general trail riding. Unclip before a worrying section and ride on the platforms - no worries about getting stuck in if you fall.

I have Eggbeaters on my other bike. They are a great pedal for XC stuff, light, simple and mudproof. Near impossible to ride on unlcipped, however.

#4 ·
Candy

I love the Crank Bro's Candy pedal. It is the same concept as the Eggbeater, but with a little platform around it. I am usually clipped in 95% of the time, but for the 5% of the time that I am not clipped in, the platform allows me to ride comfortably on the pedal. You are correct about there not being a tension adjustment, but after a while of clipping in and out, the pedals will break in a little bit and it will not be as hard to clip in or out.

Chris

#12 ·
CB mallets

My firstyear I rode SPD's and had a miserable time trying to get clipped in. Ended up breaking my leg because of the damn things. I was tired of being in a rock garden and concentrating on getting my pedals in rather than the tech before me.
I went to a Crank Bros Mallet. I was imeadiatly stoked.
I rode them on my Specz Enduro and now I have them on my Nomad.

#14 ·
Clipless pedals for both clipped in and riding with regular shoes or unclipped......been there, done that, it sucks. ( CB's Mallet C's, eggbeaters - no way- and shimano) It's only when you are cutting your teeth on clipless pedals (so to speak) that this is really a thought. But hey, we all go thru it so make your way.....

#16 ·
BEETROOT said:
I don't think anyone would ride with mallets wearing normal shoes. The clip sticks up and makes it really not an option... thats not one of its selling points
Ya think? Riding them with cleats unclipped sucks too... just like riding any shoe with cleats unclipped from the mechanism. It makes it all sketchy and......oh never mind...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.