1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Clipless float?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Clipless float?

Ok, I just tried out my new m520 pedals. I have to say the experience is not what I was expecting. I was able to twist my foot around a lot more than I was expecting. Is this the "float" of the pedals? I guess I was expecting to be locked in more.

Do those of you that have these pedals experience a lot of twisting in your pedals?(subjective question, I know) I have them set at the lowest tension so they are easy to get out of. Don't get me wrong, they hold my feet good when I'm pedaling. It's just more ability to move my feet than I was expecting

mtbr member
    I would say it's probably normal. I had an old pair of 505's way back and they were like putting my feet in concrete, comparatively. They may be more than the old clipless pedals you were using but I wouldn't say they have the most float of all the clipless pedals out there by any means. Try some egg beaters if you want to know the meaning of float. BTW, on those 520's up the tension and you will lose some of the float feel. But, your knees and riding skills will appreciate the float when you learn that you can maneuver your body around the bike a LOT more with the extra float.

College Boy
    well I consider float how much movement I have it takes a little effort to move around.

The M520s have about 3 degrees each way I believe so not that much. Now you have to go to about 15-20 degrees before they fully disegage but they start clicking out before then.

But that is just me. The Shimano pedals have the least about of float in them among pedals.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    These are my first clipless so I didn't really know how they would feel. After I get the process of disengaging down I'll up the tension and see how much difference that makes.

College Boy
    I am not sure how loose you have yours. I have my tension set pretty high

song of the saw-whet owl
    which SPD cleats do you have? you might have the "multi-release" style of SPD cleats which I personally don't like because there is too much play
    just another piece of chaga

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I don't really know. I thought the multi-release cleats were for a different model pedal. I'm using the cleats that came with the 520's.