renaissance cyclist

a clipless Dilemma

I recently decided to start entering in some XC races. I have always just used flats, but Iím thinking that I should take the plunge and get some clipless pedals. Part of my training will be my 15-mile commute to work. Iím thinking that I should get clipless pedals for my commuter bike too. I want too put some Two sided pedals on the commuter bike because my wife sometimes hops on my commuter bike for quick trips, and I donít want make her go clipless too. I plan to put some eggbeater pedals on my XC bike. From what I understand, the pedals come with cleats to bolt to the shoe. Can I use the same shoes for both sets of pedals, or would I need to change out the cleats every time changed bikes? What If I had Time Atac Z on one bike and Atac Alum on the other? Would the two Atac pedals use the same Cleat?

Old man on a bike
    I don't think Time or Crank Bros makes a combo platform/clipless pedal like Shimano offers; the Time and Crank Bros cleats are different from each other as well as the Shimanos in any case. If you're serious about xc racing clipless I think are the way to go, though. All the clipless pedals I know of will come with the appropriate cleats to use.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Hail Satin!
    I hate, hate, HATE clipless pedals. But! If you are going to race then the yes they are a good idea. Once you get used to them you will be amazed by how much more efficent your pedal stroke is (you will be pulling the pedal up while you are pushing the other one down) And if you are going to use them for racing? Then yes you should put them on your commuter to get used to them.
    But if you are going to do that, then put the same ones on both bikes. Different pedals behave differenty (sorry I have no idea if they use different cleats) You don't want to get used to say your commuter bike and smack into a pine tree on your racer because you are used to a different type.
    Stay away from two sided pedals. FAR away. Do not buy them. If someone offers them to you for free punch them in the nose.
    They are all garbage. Well.....Some of them aren't garbage. But they are more trouble than they are worth.
    Some pedals come with these little plastic things that clip-in to one of the sides (again sorry I don"t know which ones) Now this might be a solution to your needs.
    But as usual I will suggest you just go talk to a few bike shop people with this one.
    They should cut you a pretty damn good deal if you are going to but two pairs of pedals and a pair of shoes in one day.
    In the great Ford vs Chevy debate, I choose Porsche.

Old man on a bike
    Hail satin? WTF is that all about? You some sort of sheet or clothing fetishist?

You don't get upward pull on a clipless pedal just because you own them, you need to work on your pedaling technique to do that. Maybe you just don't know much about clipless pedals? Why you have no idea about cleat matching? Good to hear why you might hate clipless, eh?

It is a good idea to stay consistent with your pedal/cleat interface, yes. If you have need of riding clipless or flat pedal on the same bike, then the Shimano pedals like the M324 aren't great, but useful...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Former Bike Wrench
    Go with the Mallet on the commuter bike. They are a double sided platform clipless that work equally good as a clipless pedal or a platform pedal. They are tanks, but its a commuter bike so who cares. Don't buy the one side clipless/one side not...they suck for both.

You can use the same cleats for the Mallet and the Crank Bros Candy or Eggbeaters you would use for XC racing

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I had the same worry, but I just got Crank Bros. Candys and they are fine w/out cleats. They are a just like small platforms.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I bought some shimano m324s thinking it would be nice to have the option of both a clipless and a flat side. In hindsight, i wish i would have gone for a total clipless pedal, as the side you want will always be the side that is facing down... funny how that works

turtles make me hot
    +1 on the Mallets. Nice big platform surrounding the clip mechanism, plus you can use the same cleat as the eggbeaters.
    I like turtles

Hail Satin!
    Jeeze. You say one negatize thing about something and all the little girls just start crying.
    I was just trying to get across that clipless pedals are basically useless for anything except racing.
    And the last time I picked up one of my legs while riding, my foot came off the pedal. Because there was nothing connecting my foot to the pedal.(up pedal)

But, to get back on subject. The pedals will really help your racing. Don't forget the froo-froo tight shorts (your nuts will thank you) and the jerzey that looks about two sizes to small. You will look like an ass. But so will everybody else. So just relax.
    Just relax and enjoy the racing. Don't pay to close of attention to where you finish the first couple of races.
    You will psyche yourself out if you get down on yourself for not finishing in the top ten. And just end up blowing your lungs and legs out in the first two miles.
    Relax. Enjoy it. You are racing yourself.
    In the great Ford vs Chevy debate, I choose Porsche.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    i love clipless... hate riding with flats... I don't race... i ride XC... moderatly technical is what i'd call it... i find i have much more control over the bike with them and i get a lot more power down...

I've only used SPD (shimano's)... i'll be buying some of the 2 sided pedals for my citybike/trainer here soon... i don't always want to roll with clipless shoes... but swapping pedals is a pita...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

renaissance cyclist
    I’m sorry; I should have posted some links so you would know which pedals I was talking about. Time does make a Platform/clipless pedal, which I’m thinking about putting on my commuter bike. http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/115...C-Z-Pedals.htm.
    This is what I am planning on putting on the race bike: http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/115...ium-Pedals.htm I was thinking that because they are so similar, I might not even notice the difference when riding clipped in, but I’d have the added benefit of being able to ride the commuter without cycling shoes. Then again, I guess I may as well just put the Atac z or mallets on both bikes. My bike is kind of a pig anyway. It isn’t as if the extra few ounces of platform would kill me.

renaissance cyclist
    The mallets are pretty good? I was reading reviews, and they were only mediocre. It is hard to judge if the reviews are accurate or if people expect more out of certain brands, which ruins their opinions. That does sound like a good Idea though: using the mallets on one and eggbeaters on the other.

Former Bike Wrench
    Mine lasted over three years and were going strong when they were sold on my FR bike. Crank Bros pedals seem to have a love/hate issue on MTBR more than Shimano and Time...but the advantage of the Mallet over the Shimano SPD-M647 or the Time Z is that you can truly ride on them with standard shoes and not even notice they have a clipless option.

renaissance cyclist
    Cool, good info.. thanks

Rod
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Qui'lan Fett
    I had the same worry, but I just got Crank Bros. Candys and they are fine w/out cleats. They are a just like small platforms.
    I ride my bike around town with Candy pedals. I go about a mile or so to the post office and the grocery store. I wouldn't suggest this for longer rides, but I do believe your wife would be more comfortable with the mallets. A friend of mine bought them for his commuter bike and I haven't heard a complaint.

Most reviews are usually submitted by people who have gotten a lemon, abuse, or neglect the product from what I've seen. I now take them with a grain of salt. My seatpost has a 1 rating or something and it hasn't given me a problem in four years. You'll also read posts about people hucking xc forks and callin them crap. I don't believe most users actually post reviews.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

MTBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by debusama
    The mallets are pretty good? I was reading reviews, and they were only mediocre. It is hard to judge if the reviews are accurate or if people expect more out of certain brands, which ruins their opinions. That does sound like a good Idea though: using the mallets on one and eggbeaters on the other.
    I think you have to take reviews on here with a grain of salt. Crankbrothers tends to get a bad rap for their parts breaking(pedal axles, clip mechs, etc). Though, since I have been using them,(Mallet 1 on my MTN bike -- beaters on my roadie) I have had zero problems. They perform well in all conditions and seem to be very durable(especially the mallet). It seems like the redesign of the mallet has made it more durable. The mallets are solid but beware of the weight, they feel like full blown bmx pedals.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfisherman
    I think you have to take reviews on here with a grain of salt. Crankbrothers tends to get a bad rap for their parts breaking(pedal axles, clip mechs, etc). Though, since I have been using them,(Mallet 1 on my MTN bike -- beaters on my roadie) I have had zero problems. They perform well in all conditions and seem to be very durable(especially the mallet). It seems like the redesign of the mallet has made it more durable. The mallets are solid but beware of the weight, they feel like full blown bmx pedals.
    They also have a reputation for really good customer service if you call them, so I wouldn't be worried about it

Fat-tired Roadie
    I love my Time ATACs. I have them on my cyclocross bike and there's usually a set on my mountain bike too. I haven't tried the Z, so I don't know how it would feel in regular shoes, but it seems like a good option.

I'm with the people saying you shouldn't race a pedal you're not used to. But it also doesn't give me any trouble to switch between the toe-clipped pedals on my commuter, the road pedals on my road bike, and the Time ATACs on my off-road bikes. Just make sure that you're actually riding your racing bike more than just on race day and you should be fine.

I've heard a lot of negative things about Crank Brothers pedals when used for off-roading. I've never tried them myself, though. Times are pretty kickass, though, and jam a lot less in really mucky conditions than a lot of other pedals. My older pair are seven or eight years old and I only managed to break one of them once. I was able to repair it on the trail, and I haven't thought about it since then.

turtles make me hot
    Right now, most of my rides are taking place in snow and ice. My CB pedals have no problem engaging or disengaging. That seems good to me.
    I like turtles

Rod
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496
    Right now, most of my rides are taking place in snow and ice. My CB pedals have no problem engaging or disengaging. That seems good to me.
    I use crank bros pedals and I had to rebuild one pedal after three years with a bearing kit. It was no big deal and it was caused by the previous owner not greasing it. Time pedals are also very durable. I've used a pair that were over 10 years old and they worked perfectly.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'd buy two pair of the Time ATAC Aliums. Nice consistent feel between the two bikes. You don't need to be screwing around with your non-matching pedals trying to clip in while riding in traffic or down a tree covered hill.

Shimano SPDs are also nice - I can't find much complaint with either, although it seems like the Aliums have more float which is easier on your knees.

Tell your wife to buy her own bike - then you can ride together. Or go to Nashbar and buy a pair of women's bike shoes for $20 for her.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm going to put two cents in here. I personally like time atac, but you can't really ride any of them without clipping in. You don't want to change out the cleat in your shoe hardly ever. It eats the bottom of the shoe up and the cleat won't bite right. So you will find one day to go to clip out and the cleat tears out of the shoe.

So for you the egg beaters are the way to go. candy on the commuter and naked ones for your other bike.

The good thing about SPD is you can get a number of different companies and they all fit. Wellgo, WTB, Shimano, and so forth. But SPD restrict movement more. So I don't recommend them for riders who are used to flats. They feel trapped and it makes them fall a lot more.

But trust me, you will fall at first we all did. But now I get in and out like they aren't even there.

turtles make me hot
    We took a newbie riding in the snow today with a brand new bike, brand new shoes and brand new Shimano SPD's. They kept packin' up with ice and not allowing him to click in. He fell about twenty times on a 6 mile ride. It was great.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chewymilk99
    Jeeze. You say one negatize thing about something and all the little girls just start crying.
    I was just trying to get across that clipless pedals are basically useless for anything except racing.
    And the last time I picked up one of my legs while riding, my foot came off the pedal. Because there was nothing connecting my foot to the pedal.(up pedal)

But, to get back on subject. The pedals will really help your racing. Don't forget the froo-froo tight shorts (your nuts will thank you) and the jerzey that looks about two sizes to small. You will look like an ass. But so will everybody else. So just relax.
    Just relax and enjoy the racing. Don't pay to close of attention to where you finish the first couple of races.
    You will psyche yourself out if you get down on yourself for not finishing in the top ten. And just end up blowing your lungs and legs out in the first two miles.
    Relax. Enjoy it. You are racing yourself.

Useless except for racing? so bike control , bunny hopping ability and power output are all only useful for racing? Glad to know that.... I'm going to go de-pedal all of my bikes immediately....

If you ride on trails with any roots and rocks bouncing off of your platforms and riding the top tube isn't a good option... clipless gives you control back. Technical climbs require hopping the rear wheel and pulling on the pedals, this isn't just a "race" thing. Bunny hopping small logs and not so small logs is ALOT easier with clipless. Clipless pedals improve ANY road,xc or am ride.... there are some aspects of riding where clipless becomes a liabilty, but most riders aren't involved in those types of riding.

It's also so nice of you to make fun of people for wearing racing kits... I guess staying cool has no effect on ones ability to compete in 20 or more mile events in swealtering heat... since xc season is summer and all... My guess is you're one of those guys that says things like "I don't have anything to prove" about racing when the reality is you're too scared to get out and try it yourself... because finishing dead last would probably park your bike forever in shame.

Further more.... I don't care if people race or not... clipless pedals will make them a better rider and if they're going to ride a lot in the heat... racing type apparel will help them keep cool and ride longer. Last I checked.... I didn't care what I looked like while riding.... If wanted to be concerned with what people wore on the trail I'd buy GQ instead of BIKE.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Hell Yea! Rock-on super rant guy! Clipless pedals are awesome and I am also sick of the crying. But I do think you should put some loose shorts over that spandex. You might not care what you look like, but I don't want to see what you're "packing" when I'm out there.

Members who have read this thread: 0