1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012

clipless cleat position / Shoe issue / wrong shoe / ?

I have a set of shimano M540 pedals

Shimano M540 SPD Pedals at Price Point

And a pair of shimano M077 shoes

Shimano SH-M077 Mountain Shoe at Price Point

While riding my toes on my left foot tingle, and eventually go numb.

I'm wondering if my shoes are too tight, (the actual velcro, the shoe itself is fine) or the cleat is in the wrong position, or if some shoes just don't work for some people... any input would be great. thanks

mtbr member
    I'm going to go with shoes a little tight. Many advocate a snug fit for clipless shoes but I think the opposite and prefer some extra room in the toe box. Feet tend to swell on long rides.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Cycling shoe fit is tough - many have too tight a toe box for me. Try loosening the front strap, I find that my first try at setting it is usually too tight - when you are putting weight on it, you need more room.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Re: clipless cleat position / Shoe issue / wrong shoe / ?

I have this exact problem and it really pisses me off. I have loosened all straps where the shoe barely stays on and it still happens. I am going to move my cleat back just a tad and see what happens.

Trail Prospector

Re: clipless cleat position / Shoe issue / wrong shoe / ?

Quote Originally Posted by J Hartman View Post
    While riding my toes on my left foot tingle, and eventually go numb...I'm wondering if my shoes are too tight... any input would be great. thanks
    While misplaced cleats can cause ankle pain or numbness, my $ is on the shoes being too tight / small.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    What shoes do you currently ride with?

I went for a less "roadie" design like these from Pearl Azumi:

They fit more like a sneaker, with good support and room in the toe box. Sure they are heavier than the more "roadie" style shoes. I've been wearing them for a few years with my shimano m520s.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    While it may be that the shoes are too tight don't be afraid to move the cleats before throwing the shoes out. I had the same issue for quite some time, loosen shoes, thinner socks, tighten shoes, etc. with no help. One day I just decided to move the cleats all the way back and have not had an issue since.

Picture Unrelated
    It might be that your shoes are too tight, but don't discount having the proper foot support in the shoe. I find that many issues can be resolved by having an orthotic as it tends to distribute the pressure in your foot across more of the shoe by allowing more of your foot in contact with the sole of the shoe. Sometimes, the sole of the shoe also flexes which can cause numbness in your foot as nerves are pinched off.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Cow Clicker
    Do you point your toes downward while pedaling?
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    How long has the problem been going on? For example, did everything feel fine till you replaced the cleats? Or is this entire set up new to you?

My first suggestion would be to continue to move the cleats in different positions. It won't happen on one try, you gotta expiriment. One side may be different then the other.

I have bad knees and had a similar issue with foot pains. I could find a position that worked well for my knee, but hurt my feet. And vice versa. I ended up changing the pedals to something with more float and...problem solved.

I'm not saying to buy new pedals...just adding another idea to the list. The amount of float is often overlooked and plays a big role in comfort for some riders.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by J Hartman View Post
    I have a set of shimano M540 pedals

Shimano M540 SPD Pedals at Price Point

And a pair of shimano M077 shoes

Shimano SH-M077 Mountain Shoe at Price Point

While riding my toes on my left foot tingle, and eventually go numb.

I'm wondering if my shoes are too tight, (the actual velcro, the shoe itself is fine) or the cleat is in the wrong position, or if some shoes just don't work for some people... any input would be great. thanks
    I had a similar issue where my right big toe would go numb. I could tell it was from how much pressure I put on my feet, my seat height and angle of my feet. Over time the issue just went away as my body naturally adjusted to avoid whatever was causing it.

Right now Im getting pressure on my left ulnar and my left pinky has been getting numb

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I went riding again today. I tried not to make the shoe as tight. I didn't get any tingling or numbing today on my 9 mile ride. Awesome. Thank you all for the input.