1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Clip petals

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Clip petals

What makes good clips great? Looking to buy a set and associated shoes but I dont know where to start... can anyone lend there opinions and expertise?

To give you some background, I bike for exercise and fun, nothing crazy but I do like to go down some decent trails and jumps.

Going on my 2010 Cannondale F5...
    2010 Cannondale F5 - Jet Black

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You definitely want some play, so you can rotate your foot side to side a bit while clipped in. That seems to be a huge comfort issue.

I have always had good luck with Shimano pedals but there are many good choices these days.

I'm far from an expert but my crazy biker buddy is a big fan of Time products. There is a Time ATAC at around $75 that he thought was a pretty good choice.

mtbr member

clipless!

I also like the shimano spd,but ride with others who prefer eggbeaters or time. I would say like anything it will probably end up being personal preference! I would say start out with something affordable at first put a few hundred miles on them make sure you like them and then look into upgrading too something lighter,stronger. Some bike shops,online stores sell shoe,pedal combos that are affordable(pricepoint). Good luck you won't regret making the switch!

Fat-tired Roadie
    I like a pedal that still works when it's getting splattered in mud and horse poop, and I just ran up a grassy, muddy hill, caking it into the cleat.

I like Time ATACs.

I also like a pedal that can be banged into things regularly and survive it. I think the Alium is better than the ROC ATAC for this sort of abuse. It's also cheaper. Sweet! There are no external adjustments. I just put 'em on my bike and ride them until they're dead. That takes several seasons. I've been meaning to rebuild my old set, but haven't gotten to it and it may prove not to be feasible, or cost-effective. They're cheap for a bike part, so it's not terrible.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

College Boy
    For your first pair of clipless I will say go with the shimano M520. They are very noob friendly and they are indestructible. They are great pedals and after you get those under you belt then you can decide if you want to move on to something else.
    I went from those to Times ROC ATAC and love them but Time pedals are not what I call noob friendly. They are a heck of a lot less forgiving to a mistake than the M520s.

I went with Times because I need some extra float and some lateral movement for my knee which the M520 do not provide.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    thanks y'all... I started looking online, and im pretty certain that I would want to get a dual purpose pedal so i could ride no matter what I was wearing at the time... does that help narrow my search?
    2010 Cannondale F5 - Jet Black

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 2-Stroke View Post
    thanks y'all... I started looking online, and im pretty certain that I would want to get a dual purpose pedal so i could ride no matter what I was wearing at the time... does that help narrow my search?
    I've had all three, SPD, Time and Crank Brothers.

I like Time and CB much better than SPD.

As for the dual purpose, I really like my CB Mallets. If I'm just playing around with the kids in the neighborhood I can wear any of my regular tennis shoes just fine.

Out on the trail, if I'm trying something that I feel more comfortable doing uncliped, I can.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass
    12 TallboyC Frame for Sale-Large

Fat-tired Roadie
    Someone else has a thread going about dual purpose pedals right now.

Pedals!!

It's endlessly discussed. IMO, it's better to make a choice and stick with it. But it's a free country.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Other than the usual crank bros/ time/ spd debate the biggest thing to look at is pedal size.

If you are doing jumps of reasonable size and riding trails where having a foot unclipped for sections is important, then a pedal with a decent surround is hugely helpful.

Jumping on a standard spd eg m520 pedal gives you little foot support when landing vs a caged spd or pedal like the cb acid or mallet (im a big fan of the acids, but i guess not many people are as cb do not make them any more).

They also give you somewhere for your foot to sit when you need to get your foot back on your pedal but dont have a chance to clip.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Shimano pedals are still the most consistent for the price in my opinion.

Another vote for the M520 from me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I went with Shimano M324's. They have the clips on one side only so if you go for a short ride or don't bring your shoes you can ride and still have good support for your feet.