1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Clip in DH Flat Pedals

I need to find descent clip in flat pedals and shoes for a 2 week DH riding vacation for not a pile of money.
    Suggestions?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    are you sure you want clips?

Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

mtbr member
    Your selection is limited if you want a flat clipless pedal. The Crank Brothers Mallet 2 will run you around $85.00

Crank Brothers Mallet 2 Pedals > Components > Pedals, Cleats, Toe Clips, and Straps > Pedals | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

While the Mallet DH is $125.00.

mtbr member

mtbr member

mtbr member
    What shoes are you planning to wear? Cleats on the bottom?

Flats - HT, Crank Bro, Welgo
    Clipless (metal clip on shoe sole) - Shimano
    Clipped (cage over the toe) - do not purchase

Since this is the beginners corner I would recommend flats and tell you to find some on sale. Pedal strikes on rocks, etc are common for beginners. You will destroy them or decide you want something else in 6 months.

If money is no object I would get the Crankbrother Mallet 2 as it allows you to clip in and provides enough platform for you to ride more treacherous sections with out being locked to the pedal

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mallet21 View Post
    Mallet one does not have pins for grip when riding with out clicking in

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    If you're a beginner and you're riding real DH terrain, just go with flat pedals. Beginner, Clipless and Downhill don't mix well.

I'm usually a big fan of Time pedals, but would not recommend the Zs for DH (I have a pair). While they have a platform, they are slippery unless clipped in so you may as well just drop the platform completely. Ditto with the Mallets, really. Neither have spikes for grip.

Go with flat pedals, and if cost is a concern, Wellgo MG1s are cheap and grippy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LB412 View Post

If money is no object I would get the Crankbrother Mallet 2 as it allows you to clip in and provides enough platform for you to ride more treacherous sections with out being locked to the pedal

If money is really no object, get at least 2 sets of these, so you'll have one for riding while the other is getting fixed under warranty. I think I averaged a month between warranties before giving up on them (and I stuck with them for a year, even though the clip mechanism failed on the first ride). Contrast with Times, I have a set that have been going strong since 2006.

Shimano DX are at least 1,000,000 times better than mallets.
    these Shimano PD-M424 SPD Dual Platform Pedals | Backcountry.com
    or these Shimano PD-M647 SPD Dual Platform Pedals | Backcountry.com

As a beginner though, I'd skip clipless altogether. I don't see you getting that much out of them, and they are just going to cause you to crash. IMO if having a platform so you don't "need" to be clipped in is an attractive feature, you shouldn't be clipped in at all - someone who is good with clipless can get off their pedals just as fast as flats.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I almost always used SPDs for DHing when I used to do it quite a bit, as that was what I was used to from regular trail riding. Only an issue when things were really muddy or the terrain was super nasty (stuff you probably wouldn't be messing with starting out anyway). Granted, I'm not given to catching a bunch of air.

The pedals that I still prefer are the old red Shimano 636 DX pedals. They last so much longer than any of the newer ones it's crazy. You can find them cheap on E-bay once in awhile. A set of 545's would do fine for you also, and they're reasonably priced too. i would stay away from aluminum bodied Times for any sort of rocky terrain - I found that the bodies pretty brittle; I broke a few on hard pedal strikes, leaving some really nasty and jagged carcasses on the end of my cranks.