1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Climbing Stairs

Flying Goat

Climbing Stairs

Anyone here know how to climb some stairs with mountain bikes???

http://www.trashzen.com/anbangwheel1h.html

Certified Silly Bugger!
    All about momentum, lift the front then lean forward and 'pull' the rear up behind you.

If you start with one stair and work from there it should come to you pretty easily.

Choose a nice easy gear if you want to push more than a few stairs.
    Mmmm..... Gatorale.....

[SIZE="3"]
    I like Pepper!
    [/SIZE]

pronounced may-duh
    Are you wanting to climb a short flight or a long flight or just do that stunt in your link?

A short flight (3-5 steps) of stairs should be easy. Ride towards the stairs lift the front wheel like a wheely then when your back wheel is about to hit the bottom step move your weight forward and pedal up the stairs. Make sure your back wheel has lotsa air presure or you will get a pinch flat. (most people can pull this off)

A long flight can be done with many bunny hops. Ride up parallel to the steps. do a track stand and hop the front wheel up on to the first step. Next hop the whole bike up so that the front wheel is on the second step and the back is on the first step. Repeat hopping up the steps. (this is a hard trick that I can't do)

The trick in your link is very hard. You can see what he did. First a wheely to raise the front wheel then he hops on the back wheel and carefully lands on the beam. He hopped like 4 feet on his back wheel. Thats the trick. (I'm lucky if I can hop 1')

Flying Goat
    cool... i'm thinking of doing the stairs in my school campus... cause i cycle uphill every morning and there's also this flight of stairs i carry my bike up. Would be much cooler doing that... hahaha. Will try it soon...

pronounced may-duh
    How many steps in the flight? Roughly

Flying Goat
    it's like 10 steps then a long flat ground... then another 10 steps and more long flat ground and another 10.... haha. Yeah, it is a really nice place to cycle through every morning to school. The building i go to is at the very top of the hill, so there's a paved small singletrack which i cycle through before that too... hahaha

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive
    it's like 10 steps then a long flat ground... then another 10 steps and more long flat ground and another 10.... haha. Yeah, it is a really nice place to cycle through every morning to school. The building i go to is at the very top of the hill, so there's a paved small singletrack which i cycle through before that too... hahaha
    Whats with all the hahaha? Are you joking around?

IMHO 10 steps is way to big to just ride straight up. You would have to do that sideways hop thing I expalined. This is not easy and falling down a flight of steps is not gonna look real cool. Plus it's not a quick way to go up steps and it kinda blocks the whole staircase so nobody can use it while your hopping all over it. Can you even do a track stand and hop in place? How high and how many hops with out rolling? Remember when your halfways up the staircase you can't roll or put your foot down. These are advanced skills for somebody starting a post in the beginner's corner forum

Custom User Title
    hahaha I've been able to just bum-rush 10 steps and make it. hahaha That has also cost me a couple of tires, tubes, and a wheel or two. hahaha
    Team MOJO Wheels.

Flying Goat
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    Whats with all the hahaha? Are you joking around?

IMHO 10 steps is way to big to just ride straight up. You would have to do that sideways hop thing I expalined. This is not easy and falling down a flight of steps is not gonna look real cool. Plus it's not a quick way to go up steps and it kinda blocks the whole staircase so nobody can use it while your hopping all over it. Can you even do a track stand and hop in place? How high and how many hops with out rolling? Remember when your halfways up the staircase you can't roll or put your foot down. These are advanced skills for somebody starting a post in the beginner's corner forum
    i just like laughing,

Anyways, sideways hopping? Youch, that sounds really extreme. I can do a trackstand but i cant hop in place yet. Can you teach me how?

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive
    i just like laughing,

Anyways, sideways hopping? Youch, that sounds really extreme. I can do a trackstand but i cant hop in place yet. Can you teach me how?
    I can't do that stuff either and for the riding I do (single track and forest roads), I don't need to. But if you want to learn just start with basics like the track stand and hopping the bike while rolling. Then try to combine the two. Then try to hop in a certain direction. Like stand still and hop forward. Then pull a wheelie and try to hop on your back wheel. I sure it takes alot of practice. It would probably help to have a smallish hardtail with very good brakes and big cushy tires. I ride a full suspension rig with 5" travel front and rear. The suspension makes it very hard to hop. There are special trials bikes that have super thick tires and no seat. Those trials guys can do things that would make your head spin Hahaha!

Flying Goat
    Yeah, i've seen guys on those before, scary as hell... haha. Too bad i ride an xc hardtail... my next rigs gonna be xc full suspension, so thats not gonna help either. Btw, what kind of full suspension do you ride and how did you come to your decision about that rear link?