1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Bonking ... not feelin' well Clicking noise when pedaling

Hey, had my mountain bike about 2 months and been out of it about 4/5 times only about 10 miles each time. My bike is a brand new Kona 2+2 full suspension bike.

After taking it out the second time I noticed a clicking noise when pedaling, it drives me mad! Surely can't be something to do with wear and tear as its still practically brand new.

The click seems to be worse the more pressure is on the right side pedal, like when going up hill and seems to been every one pedal cycle. Sat on it riding fairly slowly it clicks less but does still click.

I've tightened the pedals and that's about all I've tried, when searching the problem online it seems most people who have clicking noises from pedal area have ridden their bike quite a lot and sometimes need to replace parts.

Any one have any suggestions? I have inquired about my warranty on the bike, I cannot take it to them for a repair as they are very far from me and the bike was couriered to me, I would rather fix it myself if i can.

Thanks in advance...

mtbr member
    Make sure you chainring bolts are tight. Also, make sure your bottom bracket is tight, your crankset is spaced correctly and tight, and your pedal and crankarm arent hitting the tail-end of the shifter cable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    +1 on mevadus's suggestions.

If those don't work, see if it happens only while seated (check seat rails). See if it happens while riding handsfree (if not, check handlebar and stem tightness and headset play). Sometimes sounds get transmitted.

I'm fighting with the same sound right now.

local trails rider
    .. or your shoe hitting something on the bike, or a bent tooth in the shainring.

The last time I had a "clicking noise", it was a metal button on a pair of cotton shorts. They have a button , so that I can shorten them even further...

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Yep, what Gregon said, too. But I will add that if it only happens while seated, you need to grease your section of seatpost that is inserted in the seatpost tube.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I've just tightened my seat clamp as that didn't seem to be as tight as it should be.

Also tightened my chain ring bolts.

I'll have a quick ride out soon and see if they have made a difference. If not, ill try some of the other suggestions, thanks again.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Just been out, touch wood one of the two things i have done has sorted the clicking!

Thanks a lot guys! Been a great help..

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    This same thing happened in the first 100 miles on my road bike. I took it back to the shop I bought it from and they took out the bottom bracket/crank arms off, cleaned/lubed everything down there, and put it back in, no more sound!

Same thing also happened on my mountain bike but it went away when I washed it.

Redcoat
    Another possible fix too:
    take pedals off and regrease connecting areas.

fixed mine in a jiffy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I take it back! It still clicks! I've not been out on a proper ride since I thought I had fixed the clicking, I've done about 10 miles on the road.

Anyway, yesterday I took my earphones out stood up while pedaling and there it was! Its quite rare i here the clicking when sitting, but as soon as I stand it clicks with every pedal cycle.

Things i have done so far:

Greased seat post tightened seat clamp
    Tightened actual seat bolts connecting to seat post (they weren't as tight as should be)
    Tightened chain ring bolts (which is what i thought had fixed it)
    Tightened front and rear quick release

I will be replacing the pedals today, I didn't like the ones that came on the bike so I'll see if they make any difference.

Running out of ideas!

Redcoat
    Quote Originally Posted by SCO7TY View Post
    I take it back! It still clicks! I've not been out on a proper ride since I thought I had fixed the clicking, I've done about 10 miles on the road.

Anyway, yesterday I took my earphones out stood up while pedaling and there it was! Its quite rare i here the clicking when sitting, but as soon as I stand it clicks with every pedal cycle.

Things i have done so far:

Greased seat post tightened seat clamp
    Tightened actual seat bolts connecting to seat post (they weren't as tight as should be)
    Tightened chain ring bolts (which is what i thought had fixed it)
    Tightened front and rear quick release

I will be replacing the pedals today, I didn't like the ones that came on the bike so I'll see if they make any difference.

Running out of ideas!
    ill say it again, take pedals off re-grease threads and moving touching parts. worked for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    See if there is any slop in your crankset/bb interface.
    Use a rubber hammer or piece of wood to hit your crank arm on each side to see movement.
    If you have any movement then it is probably the source of the click.
    If you have a Hollowtech type crank loosen the pinch bolts on the non drive side.
    Don't just push the arm in and tighten.
    Use a 6" c clamp with two pieces of wood as protection like paint stirrer sticks.
    Take the slack out and add a little pressure to the assembly.
    Keep it clamped while you tighten the two pinch bolts.
    The click should be gone.
    You should consider taking the crankset out of the bb and greasing the bb bearings by removing the "Do Not Remove" covers and bearing cover on each side and then doing the clamp tighten on assembly. Good maintenance once or twice a year.

turtles make me hot
    Make sure you aren't hitting the end of the front derailleur cable as you spin the cranks. Common clicking source.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks for the replies.

Brockwan, I've only read your reply today and will be replacing the pedals later on anyway so surely re-greasing on them won't be an issue. What about other moving parts though? There are lots of pivoting bits around the rear shock, I've attached some pics.

eb1888, had to read your reply a few times to understand what you meant, sounded very technical lol. I think i do have a hollowtech crank, i can see right through it anyway! Do you really think It's possible i would need to re-grease bearings with the bike being so new?

NYrr496, definitely not hitting anything while pedaling either with shoe or crank arms.

Pics attached...

Clicking noise when pedaling-tocl.jpg
    Clicking noise when pedaling-f1q1.jpg
    Clicking noise when pedaling-encw.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    That does look new. The techs where you bought it should fix it for you.

I use that crank. New the non drive side bearing on two had very little grease.
    Shimano expects you to replace it as a wear item. It is inexpensive. If you maintain it, it will last a lot longer.
    So yes, grease it. Assembly with the 6" c clamp and paint stick pieces to protect the crank.
    Here's how you do it.
    Unscrew the nd side cap. loosen the pinch bolts on the nd arm and remove. Pull out the drive crank assembly.
    Use the middle not the tip of a thin knife blade to lightly pry around the outside edge of the black do not remove cove on the bearing.
    You can use the tip of the knife to get the blade under the edge, but don't pry until you move it to the middle of the blade.
    For the inner bearing cover pry around the inside edge.
    Work bearing grease into the race until it spins smooth and has extra. Put it back together.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks, don't mean to sound stupid but are they instructions to re-grease the bearings in the bottom bracket or the crank? Finding it difficult to picture your instructions.

I can disassemble the crank no problem

turtles make me hot
    Thanks, don't mean to sound stupid but are they instructions to re-grease the bearings in the bottom bracket or the crank? Finding it difficult to picture your instructions.

I'm pretty sure those bearings say do not disassemble on them. They don't want you to grease them and make them last longer. Bastids.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Changing the pedals seems to have done the trick!

turtles make me hot
    Very nice.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

BB. No bearings on the crank assembly.
    Even though the black plastic cover says do not remove, you can, with care, easily remove it to clean and add grease multiple times without hurting it.

mtbr member
    Outboard Bearing Bottom Bracket Service Guide. With Pics.

That writeup may help you get to and grease the BB bearings

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Good to hear you got it sorted! I have a similar noise on my bike, and ended up ordering new pedals. Thought it was the BB at first, but after a long experimentation period I worked out it's the right pedal.

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Mine was also the right pedal, new ones feel much better as well. Thanks for all the responses guys. Found this forum to be very helpful so far...