mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Clicking noise when paddling

Found out today after the ride I could hear some clicking noise when I paddled, once I got home, I found out the front derailleur seems to be touching the chain with larger gears in the back. I turned the dial about 2 revolutions on the gear shift, and it seems to cure the problem.

Now at the back, I found it jumps from the smallest gear to 3rd smallest in one shot. It would not engage the 2nd smallest gear. Another interesting thing is if I reverse the paddle, even without the tires moving, I can hear some clicking noise, not sure where that's coming from. However, I don't hear anymore when I paddle forward.

This is my first attempt to adjust anything on my bike, so I hope I don't break anything! It's a Stumpjumper FSR Comp 2011.

Much appreciate your help.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Gear shifting seems not as smooth as before, I can hear some clinging before the gear clicks in. Before it would engage in a snap.

Picture Unrelated
    Keep adjusting. What resources are you using to learn what adjustments do what? There's a lot of useful youtube videos that explain how to dial in your shifting.

I would suspect that your pedal click is unrelated to your rear shifting issues. Try turning your barrel adjusters to loosen tension on your rear shifter until it shifts properly. Sounds like it's pulling too hard and skipping the second gear.

One thought: if this problem just started randomly then I would suspect that the derailleur hanger has been bent. Large shifting issues (such as missing an entire gear) don't just randomly start from nowhere, they usually have to be caused by something. Sometimes it's a bent hanger, sometimes a muddy or wet ride and sometimes it's been sitting for a while. I always suggest that shifting problems don't happen out of no where, they have a cause.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by htjunkie View Post
    Found out today after the ride I could hear some clicking noise when I paddled, once I got home, I found out the front derailleur seems to be touching the chain with larger gears in the back. I turned the dial about 2 revolutions on the gear shift, and it seems to cure the problem.
    This could be what they call cross-chaining. If you are on the big sprocket up front (far right) and large gear in the back (far left) there's a very good chance your chain will contact your front derailleur.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quite some time ago when I was riding in the trail, one of the gear was making a slight clicking noise. One of the riders told me to turn the barrel a turn or so in either way. That took care of the noise.

I did get wipe out a few times and most likely the hanger got bent then, I'm starting to learn to use the gear more effectively and I wasn't really paying attention too much until now.

With the front derailleur touching the chain, confirmed the front was in the small sprocket (far left), where the rear engaged the smallest gear (far right). Is this normal? I don't think I would be riding in this combination but should it be adjusted?

Thanks for your inputs.

mtbr member
    That's cross chaining also. You may be able to adjust some out but it might not go away completely. As strange as it may seem the the drive train doesn't give all gear combinations possible. The two extremes should be avoided not so much because they may rub with the FD but because they put stress on the chain and make it vulnerable to breaking.