1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Click coming from rear brake

So i've noticed this problem for a while and last night i finally did some investigating. I noticed (when waiting around for friends, not riding) than when i leaned on my bike there would be this click or creak kind of noise coming from the back end. I thought it may be a cracked frame or something like that, so i looked around for cracks, but didnt notice anything.

I way changing my tire last night and i figured out that if i spin the tire, and hit the brakes, it would make 1 click. it sounded like the click was right when the brake engaged, but still wasnt providing much braking power. I found that no matter how fast i engaged the brake, it still make the noise, but if i engaged it very very slowly, there was no click.

I've also noticed that it clicked multiple time if i engage the brake as i kind of, sit on the bike (when its right side up)

I've never noticed this while riding, but the sound is not particularly loud, so i think it's the kind of thing that i could be not noticing.

things i've checked: frame cracks (everywhere expect under the wrapped chainstay) and torque on the caliper's bolts.

Something that's i've just realized while typing this is both of the cases mentioned above, the wheel is spinning backwards. i dont know if the clicking is still there when the brake stops a wheel that is moving forward.

mtbr member
    What kind of brakes are they?

Bike builder
    If the brakes are still working fine, and you can't hear it when riding, then I wouldn't worry about it.

If you can't see any cracks then there's no point worrying (there's not much you could do about them).

If the calliper were leaking at all then there would be oil over the disc and pads (if you have hydraulic brakes), and you'd notice that pretty quickly!

If you want to be double-triple sure you could take off the calliper, remove the pads (remember which side they went) and expect everything for cracks or oil leaks.

But too be honest if the brake still works as normal, I wouldn't worry
    Free bike maintenance videos every two weeks!
    BuildYourBicycle.com video podcast

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    the brakes are tektro auriga comp's

Picture Unrelated
    Your bike will make all sorts of strange noises while pedaling backward, it's not meant to do that. If you can't hear the click in the forward direction, you're fine.

The creaking as you leaned on the bike means that something is loose: pivots on a full sus bike, rear quick release not tight enough, hub loose, so many things are possible, but it's probably unrelated to the brake click.

If your brakes really are clicking intermittently, then the most likely source is a brake caliper alignment issue. Spin the wheel while looking at the gap in the caliper and you'll probably notice a bit of side to side wobble in the rotor. It's totally normal and usually easier to adjust out by moving the caliper then trying to mess with truing the rotor. You may need to balance the click noise with rotor flex. You really don't want that rotor to flex too much when you squeeze your brakes, that eats a lot of your power.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The click noise only happens once per engagement. zebrahum, what you are describing sounds like if the click was happening every time the wheel rotated (which it is not)

i really think the click is the same sound i hear when i lean on the bike. i'll try to pay more attention next ride.

Picture Unrelated
    So did you figure out if it's a single click when the brake is engaged or what? If we're talking about a single click when engaging the brake, then all you have is the pads shifting into position when the brake is applied. The pads have a bit of play in them and you're probably hearing them shift a bit when the stationary pads hit the moving rotor.

If it's a repeating click once the lever is pulled, could be a lot of things: rotor warp, rotor chip/scratch/or other flaw, or maybe the retaining spring is hitting the rotor. On some brakes, the return spring clip thing will sometimes strike the rotor under braking when the pads are getting low.

I still think that the leaned on sound is not related to the brakes, check all your bolts.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum
    ... If we're talking about a single click when engaging the brake, then all you have is the pads shifting into position when the brake is applied. The pads have a bit of play in them and you're probably hearing them shift a bit when the stationary pads hit the moving rotor.

I still think that the leaned on sound is not related to the brakes, check all your bolts.
    it is 1 click per engagement. The first part of your post i highlighted makes sense, and it is what i'm going to believe the culprit is

the sound from leaning on my bike may be my seat now that i think of it. It has come loose (the bolt that adjusts the angle) once before. I'll give it a good look.